my first noob issue - and did i do the right thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l1ranger

Reaction score
brewed an AHS spitfire clone on sunday.
my wyeast pack didnt swell, but no biggie and i pitched it anyways.
last night, still no airlock activity, which was odd b/c my bucket locks up pretty tight, so I checked the gravity and it hadn't budged, almost 100 hours later.
smelled a little rank, but nothing was growing in it, and i figure it was just the smell of 60 something degree wort thats been sitting for four days. I'm leaving tomorrow for a few days, and not trusting anybody else in the house to look after my babies, i rehydrated some Windsor that I had (it was either that or montracet) and pitched it last night and this morning, happy little bubbles...and that smell. im thinking its just hte CO2 pushing that air that was in there out, but we'll see.

I guess we all have a problem at one point or another.

i suppose at this point my question is, what differences can i expect between the wyeast 1084 irish ale yeast that didnt get going, and the windsor that is now going well.

They seem pretty close so it probably won't be a big deal.

Sulfur smells are common during fermenting. Let it ride ;)

Worst case scenario, you might have pitched either a bad batch of yeast, or the wort was too hot when you pitched. Check the gravity in another day or two, and if it's still at OG level, you can just pitch another bag of Wyeast with no worries. Just remember to reset your fermentation timer!

CV - i pitched the yeast at around 65 deg. I don't remember the exact number, and can't check until i get home, but i always cool the wort to withing a few degrees of 65.

brewed an AHS spitfire clone on sunday.
my wyeast pack didnt swell, but no biggie and i pitched it anyways.
last night, still no airlock activity, which was odd b/c my bucket locks up pretty tight, so I checked the gravity and it hadn't budged, almost 100 hours later.
smelled a little rank, but nothing was growing in it, and i figure it was just the smell of 60 something degree wort thats been sitting for four days. I'm leaving tomorrow for a few days, and not trusting anybody else in the house to look after my babies, i rehydrated some Windsor that I had (it was either that or montracet) and pitched it last night and this morning, happy little bubbles...and that smell. im thinking its just hte CO2 pushing that air that was in there out, but we'll see.

I guess we all have a problem at one point or another.

i suppose at this point my question is, what differences can i expect between the wyeast 1084 irish ale yeast that didnt get going, and the windsor that is now going well.

You either had an old pack, failed to break the inner packet or it was bad. Should have RUN down to your Beer Supply and purchased some new Propagator, warmed it up in your pocket, smacked the pack on the way home and after it swelled a bit, pitched it. You would have beer on the way by now.

We have all been there, no biggie! :mug:

When I use liquid yeast I always make a starter, regardless of how fresh the smack pack is. 1.5-2L does the trick for average gravity wort. There a many threads on here that show you how to make one.
I've been going the dry yeast route recently with good results. You simply rehydrate in 100F water for 30 minutes or so then pitch. I usually get activity under 12 hours. By the time the 24h since pitch time rolls around, the yeasties are hard at work and airlock is chugging along nicely. Can't go wrong with Safale S-05, S-04 or Nottingham.

Latest posts

Back