Airlock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjl

Reaction score
Totally new to this and brewed my first batch on Saturday. By Sunday the airlock was bubbling about once every 10 seconds or so. I am storing the fermenter in my basement where it is about 56-58 degrees (i know too cold, but spouse not keen on it being upstairs). Yesterday (Tuesday) the bubbles had slowed to about every 30 seconds. Today, probably once a minute or so. Airlock never really "bubbled" like on the videos and such.....
I am of the opinion to just let it sit...it seemed to be doing its stuff, just slow? I plan to let it sit at least another week, probably two? Just wondering if I am on the right track.....
Help....

what yeast are you using? temps are probably pretty close to right on for many strains. remember your fermentation temp will be warmer than the ambient temp

Before Revvy beats me to it, I'll just let you know that airlock activity is not an indicator of fermentation. Usually though, we get that question when someone's airlock isn't bubbling, this is a new one.

But yeah, the yeast are doing their thing in there. Don't sweat it at all, that's business as usual.

Thanks! I know about the airlock not really being an indicator....i read Revvy's replies before i posted. But, that was as you said about no activity. I thought that i was probably fine. I am using True Brew Amber Ale....and I also read that sometimes with the cheaper malts (like this one) that this sort of activity is not unusual.
I will still plan on bottling in a week or two.

Latest posts

Back