I'm drinking green beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoyScout

Reaction score
I admit it, I'm drinking green beer cause I just couldn't wait to taste it. Both beers were made using kits provided by The Brewhouse (The brew house).

The Red Ale is drinkable but kind of boring, definitely needs some more time conditioning in the bottle. It was only bottled a week ago, so hopefully given another
month in the bottles it'll improve a bit. It spent one week in the primary and 2 weeks in the secondary.

The Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout was made by "hacking" a kit. Recipe was found here - The brew house

In summary, here's what it says

Ingredients for 3 gallons:
1 Brew House Munich Dark Lager kit
12 oz. roast barley
8 oz. flaked barley
8 oz. quick oats
1 oz. Northern Brewer hops
Wyeast 1084 Irish ale yeast

1. Crack your roast barley and place it, with the flaked barley, in a grain bag. If you wish to make an oatmeal stout, include the quick oats.
2. Add grain bag to 2 gallons of cold water in a 3 gallon (or larger) pot. Place over medium heat. Bring temperature to 170°F and hold for 20 minutes, stirring the grain bag occasionally.
3. Remove and discard grains, add the Northern Brewer hops, and boil for 20 minutes.
4. Remove pot from heat, cool.
5. Pitch your yeast culture and ferment at 60–70°F.

Follow the recipe above, but instead of using water for steeping the grain and hops, use about 2 gallons of wort out of the kit. After boiling, add this
liquid to the remaining wort and don't add any water. If you've done everything right, you'll wind up with about 3 gallons of wort at a starting gravity
of 1.075–1.080. After this, follow the Brew House instructions, but rack to a 3 gallon carboy on day 3–5. This beer should be aged for at least a month
before bottling, and another two months before drinking.

It spent 10 days in the primary and a month in the secondary. I also bottled it a week ago and, my god, this is a tasty beer. I could easily nail back another
12 of these with no regrets. Well no regrets as long as the hangover tomorrow was manageable. These are supposed to age for another two months, which will make
them ready in time for my birthday. That's if I can stay away from them until then.

Anyone else crack open green beers cause they just can't wait? My excuse is that I want to taste them at various stages so I can see how they progress with
time. That and because I'm thirsty, and I love beer.

I also drink a few green. You can defiantly see the flavor progression as the bottles age. Me and dad just cracked a couple of black beers he made 3 years ago, man were they tasty.

Everyone breaks into their first few batches early. No crime to it. Sorta.

The crime comes when it is gone before it ever reaches its peak. Sounds like you are heading towards committing that crime.

Better get some more batches fermenting pdq if you haven't already.

Latest posts

Back