Robust Porter Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeeferMan

Reaction score
Brewing up a batch of Robust Porter tomorrow.

Trying to use some stuff I have on hand, which was 6 pounds amber DME and Galena, Centenniel, and Cascade hops but got a couple things to supplement the recipe (1/2 # Chocolate Malt, 1/2# Black Malt).

Checked my recipe on tastybrew.com, as it stands right now it is:

- OG 1.056 (range for style 1.050 to 1.065)
- The SRM is 35 (30+ is recommended)
- ABV is 5.4 (4.6 to 6 is recommended)

Looks like color and ABV is adequate. Wouldn't mind a bit more alcohol. :D

Here are my questions:

1) Should I try to get the OG higher? I have bottling sugar and brown sugar here. Would adding some boost the OG and alcohol level? Would there be any drawbacks?

2) Where should I hop it in the range (25-45 IBU). Looking for balance--should I shoot for the middle or gauge it on the other levels/ingredients?

1) Should I try to get the OG higher? I have bottling sugar and brown sugar here. Would adding some boost the OG and alcohol level? Would there be any drawbacks?

Bottling sugar can give a cidery taste and brown sugar can take a while to mellow. If you want to boost the ABV I'd throw in another pound of DME.

2) Where should I hop it in the range (25-45 IBU). Looking for balance--should I shoot for the middle or gauge it on the other levels/ingredients?

It depends on your personal preference. I like hop flavor/aroma (even in a porter) so I'd throw some 20 and 5 min. additions in there. Galena would be a great bittering addition with Centennial and/or Cascade for flavor/aroma. I like the citrus contrast with the roasty, chocolaty profile of the grains, but again, it really depends on what your personally looking for. That may be the opposite of what you like in a porter.

+1 on adding a bit more extract if you want to raise the ABV. Just keep in mind that more extract will change the balance of the beer a little bit, so you may want to increase the bittering hops by a little bit to compensate. Sugar will raise the alcohol, but can also thin out the beer if you use too much.

Honey can also be a nice addition to a porter...just don't boil it and lose all the flavor - add it at the end of the boil.

Bottling sugar (dextrose) will thin out the body of the beer. In order for a brew to become cidery, you would need to add a lot of dextrose (at least 2-3# per 5 gallons). I wouldn't go with more than 1/2# dextrose. Go with adding more DME.

Back