aww Nuts! Coconuts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the plan for a gallon test.
1.5 # Honey
.5# Brown SUgar.
Montrichet Yeast.
Nutrient.
O.G. 1.070
This part is in the fermentor this afternoon.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Now I need advice.
I want to add the dried pineapple and flaked coconut at secondary. The worry I have, is the oil in the coconut. Will it make a nasty scum at the top of the secondary, and more importantly, will it make nasty in the bottle?
I planned to add after fermentation so the alcohol (10ish %) can help stop spoilage of the fruits.

Any thoughts to help make this a success would be appreciated!
Thanks .

Well, I'm guessing that flaked coconut is pretty dry (you're talking about the stuff in the grocery store in bags, right?) but you may or may not get some oil. If you do, hopefully it'd float and you could just rack from underneath.

You could try coconut extract (the real stuff, not the artificial) if that's a real concern.

:off: YooperBrew gets my vote for the best avitar collection EVER:rockin:
and ya, i'm talking the dry stuff...I will definitely do the toast. I have plenty, so if it ends up smoked, i can try again.

I've racked 1 gallon onto 2 oz of flaked (Toasted) coconut and 2 oz dried Pineapple. How long do you suppose it will take to add a nice flavor? Everything in a 1 gallon batch seems to happen pretty quickly, I assume because of the surface area proportions...anyway, I sure don't want to cut things short.

I've used toasted flaked unsweetened coconut in a mead and a porter. I used 16 oz in 3 gallons of porter for about three weeks and 20 oz in 3 gallons of sweet mead for about three weeks. Both came out well and had plenty of coconut flavor. I'd probably use a little less in the porter next time. Some oil came out of the coconut when I toasted it, but I never saw any in the carboys. It may have been in there floating with the coconut, but I didn't have any when I racked off the coconut. I've also used chipped coconut (larger pieces), but I like the flaked much better.

OK, I have to admit I've only ever had toasted coconut on munchkins from dunkin donuts, but if it picks up any of that taste, i'm stealing this recipe. :)

Back