Under pitched?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
I used Golden promise instead of 2 row this time. I always end FG at or near 1.012. 5.5 gal. batches. My OG was a little higher this time at 1.059.

I pitched 1 packet of Safale 05, like always. I don't rehydrate, just sprinke in. My FG was 1.019.

So my question is, since I haven't changed really anything, was there not enough yeast? Should I rehydrate the dry yeast to increase cell count? Or just pitch 2 packs?

Thanks.

i make beers around that og all the time, with that yeast, don't rehydrate, and they come out fine. did you use lactose or a lot of crystal malt? i know you're not a noob; just throwing it out there

Well I used 13lbs. Golden Promise and 2 lbs. 10L and 1 lb. 120L. Is that too much crystal malt? That was the choices I had from the lhbs at the time.

Thanks.

3 pounds of crystal malt? What style are you making??? That just seems like a lot to my inexperienced eye...

Under pitching shouldn't affect the final gravity, it just takes longer to get there. One packet of US-05 is enough for a batch anyway.

You've used nearly 20% crystal malt! Have you used that much before?
Also, what was your mash temp?

Well I used 13lbs. Golden Promise and 2 lbs. 10L and 1 lb. 120L. Is that too much crystal malt? That was the choices I had from the lhbs at the time.

Thanks.

Holy crystal malt!

Your fg seems fine. I hope there's a ton of hops in this recipe to counterbalance the cloying sweetness of that much crystal.

That much crystal combined with the high mash temp will make a very sweet beer. Not very IPA like - I hope it turns out drinkable for you. 1.019 sounds about right.

I've used up to 2 lbs. of crystal malt, not 3. Making an IPA. Mashed at 156F.

So that's a lot of crystal malt huh?

As a bit of a guide....
You've used about 19% crystal.
I typically use:
Up to about 15% in amber ales;
Up to about 10% in pales ales and bitters;
I don't often brew IPA's, but a mate brews them almost exclusively - he rarely goes over 5% crystal (mostly carapils) and mashes low (148-150).

The truth is, I was going with organic grain. That is all that was available. Thought I'd give it a try. It's not the best. I'm brewing again on Wed. My last brew was so good, this is kind of a bummer. It's all hopped up and drinkable though.

Going organic to avoid GMO grain. Not to get political, my wife is Celiac and can drink my brews when I use Clarity Ferm. Non GMO grain is something that may help her out.

Thanks for the responses. Can't wait to brew another great one. I have the organic grain. It will be 2 row and a bit of Munich.

The truth is, I was going with organic grain. That is all that was available. Thought I'd give it a try. It's not the best. I'm brewing again on Wed. My last brew was so good, this is kind of a bummer. It's all hopped up and drinkable though.

Going organic to avoid GMO grain. Not to get political, my wife is Celiac and can drink my brews when I use Clarity Ferm. Non GMO grain is something that may help her out.

Thanks for the responses. Can't wait to brew another great one. I have the organic grain. It will be 2 row and a bit of Munich.

If your reason for organic grain is only to avoid GMO, try Gladfields grains (from New Zealand) if you can get it. GM crops are not allowed in NZ.

Back