My mash ph seems too low, what should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo_wire

Reaction score
Doing a Belgian pale ale with 8 lbs of grain and 1.5 lbs of sugar.

I checked the ph of my mash and it seems to be 5.0. I used test strips that I'm sure aren't the most accurate in the world but every time I've ever used them they have matched up with a 5.4 ph. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that the grains I'm using were crushed a few months ago, so I think that might be the problem. My temps are okay.

If I am in fact mashing with a ph that is too low is there any fix necessary? I assume this will thin the beer out and I could add some maltodextrine. I can also add some DME if necessary but I done have a refractometer, so I'm not sure how much to add. I also don't have iodine, so I'm just assuming that conversion is occurring.

RDWHAB?

I also have some amalyse enzymes, which I've never used before, but if that might be useful I'm all ears.

Thanks. I'm going to assume my test strips are getting old.

RDWHAB it is. Never failed me before.

Fyi a bit of baking soda will bring up your mash pH.

What temp did you test at? That makes a difference.

Graduate to a good pH meter. The strips are not accurate. Also, it depends on the temp the equipment is calibrated at. This is often around room temp so you must add about .3 for a mash temp of 150. So at 5 you may be a very nice 5.3. I would worry about 5.4 which goes to 5.7.

Back