WLP099 San Diego Super Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
***I MEANT WLP090***

After reading about this yeast and asking questions of those who've used it, I decided to give it a shot. Here are my thoughts:

- This is NOT the yeast used by Stone Brewing; if that's what you're looking for, WLP007 will get you closer.

- I read this is essentially a more flocculant California Ale yeast (WLP001), which I'd say is accurate! After only a week in primary, the beer was fully attenuated and very clear with good malt/hop balance. The slight hint of acetaldehyde was very similar to what I get with 001.

- A with 001, I pitched a starter into 65F wort, let temp rise to 68F and held it there for 5 days, let it rise to about 70F for a day of clean up, let the temp drop over a couple days to 64F as fermentation completed, then started crashing after a week... for clarification sake.

Overall, I will certainly be using this yeast more often! Actually, I plan to keep harvested samples on hand at all times. I had read some folks were having problems with high FG, which I did not experience at all- my 1.050 wort finished at 1.009, which was expected.

I'd enjoy hearing what others think, and I'm happy to answer any questions. Cheers!

Yeah it works pretty good. As you said it flocs out a little quicker then wlp001. But really between this and wlp001 I just grab whatever the lhbs has on hand.

jtejedor said:
Yeah it works pretty good. As you said it flocs out a little quicker then wlp001. But really between this and wlp001 I just grab whatever the lhbs has on hand.

I hear ya, but I think I actually prefer 099... by a smidge

Maybe it was a typo, but are you sure you used the right yeast? WLP099 is their super high gravity strain if I'm not mistaken...

Gtrman13 said:
Maybe it was a typo, but are you sure you used the right yeast? WLP099 is their super high gravity strain if I'm not mistaken...

Argh! Total typo... WLP090 (using iPhone)

Wow I can't believe I just stumbled onto this thread. I just finished makin up a couple of starters with yeast from my last batch with the San diego super. I really like this yeast!

image-1298296399.jpg

Haasobrew said:
Wow I can't believe I just stumbled onto this thread. I just finished makin up a couple of starters with yeast from my last batch with the San diego super. I really like this yeast!

Cool! What do you like so much about it? I'm assuming similar things as me.

I wish I could tell you what I like about it but I really don't know the yeast lingo. I need to get up on my vocabulary in that area of brewology. What I can say that I like about it is that a mere 5 hours after pitching I am seeing this in my carboy:

image-2560735956.jpg

Haasobrew said:
I wish I could tell you what I like about it but I really don't know the yeast lingo. I need to get up on my vocabulary in that area of brewology. What I can say that I like about it is that a mere 5 hours after pitching I am seeing this in my carboy:

Lingo smingo! It ferments fast, clean, and clears up a bit better than 001. A great house strain. Whatcha got going there? I'm currently fermenting a hoppy Red Ale with 090, bubbles after 4 hours! Cheers.

Back