Way Overcarbed: Fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So,

I had a Kolsch that I bottled a few weeks ago. I had dropped the temps down to 45 degrees after a couple of weeks to sort of simulate lagering. I think it must not have been completely done fermenting, because those bottles are WAY overcarbed. When pouring, the glass is like 90% foam. When drinking, the beer sort of foamifies in your mouth.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could fix it by chilling them, uncapping them to let out excess CO2, then recapping. Has anyone fixed an overcarbed batch and how? Thanks!

I've done this and it worked, but if you really want to get a significant amount of CO2 out it might be worth opening them after they've been sitting at warm room-temperature for a few days.

maybe try it with a few and see how long it takes, get a good idea of what your doing before you do the whole batch

So,

I had a Kolsch that I bottled a few weeks ago. I had dropped the temps down to 45 degrees after a couple of weeks to sort of simulate lagering. I think it must not have been completely done fermenting, because those bottles are WAY overcarbed. When pouring, the glass is like 90% foam. When drinking, the beer sort of foamifies in your mouth.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could fix it by chilling them, uncapping them to let out excess CO2, then recapping. Has anyone fixed an overcarbed batch and how? Thanks!

Why not give it a try with a few bottles and see how it turns out. It can't hurt and I'd love to know if it works! :)

I'm confused, are you still storing your beers at 45? If that's the case you've retarded the carbornation process. There's no such thing as lagering for ales, when you go below 55 degrees all you do is put the yeast to sleep. You don't clean the beer, nor do you allow the beer to actually carb and condition the beer. You stop the process nearly entirely.

So let's say you "lagered" the beer for 3 weeks, then you brought it to the proper carbing temp for a week, it's not 4 weeks carbed and conditioned, it's ONE week into the actual carbing process....

If it's gushing it's not over carbed, it's because it hasn't absorbed the co2 in solution and looked the carb level in yet....Your only at the earliest level of carbonation.

Watch poindexter's video from my bottling blog.

Like he shows several times, even @ 1 week, all the hissing, all the foaming can and does happen, but until it's dissolved back into the beer, your don't really have carbonation, with tiny bubbles coming out of solution happening actually inside the glass, not JUST what's happening on the surface.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Anything less than 70 degrees, means a longer time to get carbed and conditioned...below the dormancy temp of the yeast (like at 45 degree) it's gonna take forever.

But until then the beer can even appear to be overcarbed, when really nothing is wrong.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Let the beer set for a full three weeks at 70, then chill a bottle down, it should be fine then.

Remember, ale yeast + lager temps = retarded process, nothing else.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at a friends house the other day and he opened a beer given to him by another home brewer and it looked like he opened a bottle of shaken up champagne. It continuously bubbled over and when poured into a glass it was 99% foam. I think he said they were bottled several months ago, so I don't think they were too young.

How is this achieved; did you guys use too much priming sugar? I'm surprised the tops didn't pop off.

i had a whole batch of barleywine overcarbed - i just lifted the cap slightly to relieve pressure and then re-capped the original cap - took me 3 times over 2 weeks but it saved the batch.
now i let barleywines sit for 6-8 months before even considering bottling.

oops - guess i should read better, didn't consider revvy's take on the situation which is probably the right one.

You could, also, see how they are after a month or two has passed.

I will say, this is another reason I like using Grolsch bottles. IF I ever have a batch that gets over carbonated, it's a lot easier to let some out and quickly seal them back up again.

Luckily, I've not had a batch over carbonated yet... I'm weighing my priming sugars, so I don't have to worry about using more than I had wanted to.

Revvy,

I was just using "lager" to mean "cold-condition," which is quite common for Kolsch. The original fermentation temp was about 60F, and after a few weeks, it seemed done, so I started the cold conditioning (I know this yeast goes dormant below 55). Unfortunately, it appears that the yeast was not quite finished.

And, it is very definitely over-carbed, there is no debating this one!

I'm confused, are you still storing your beers at 45? If that's the case you've retarded the carbornation process. There's no such thing as lagering for ales, when you go below 55 degrees all you do is put the yeast to sleep. You don't clean the beer, nor do you allow the beer to actually carb and condition the beer. You stop the process nearly entirely.

So let's say you "lagered" the beer for 3 weeks, then you brought it to the proper carbing temp for a week, it's not 4 weeks carbed and conditioned, it's ONE week into the actual carbing process....

If it's gushing it's not over carbed, it's because it hasn't absorbed the co2 in solution and looked the carb level in yet....Your only at the earliest level of carbonation.

Watch poindexter's video from my bottling blog.

Like he shows several times, even @ 1 week, all the hissing, all the foaming can and does happen, but until it's dissolved back into the beer, your don't really have carbonation, with tiny bubbles coming out of solution happening actually inside the glass, not JUST what's happening on the surface.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Anything less than 70 degrees, means a longer time to get carbed and conditioned...below the dormancy temp of the yeast (like at 45 degree) it's gonna take forever.

But until then the beer can even appear to be overcarbed, when really nothing is wrong.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Let the beer set for a full three weeks at 70, then chill a bottle down, it should be fine then.

Remember, ale yeast + lager temps = retarded process, nothing else.....[/QUOTE]

Huh? Exactly as style demands a Kolsch is top fermented at warm fermentation temps then cold conditioned/lagered.

Kölsch is warm fermented at a temperature around 13 to 21°C (55 to 70°F) and then cold-conditioned, or lagered. It is a pale, highly attenuated, hoppy, clear, top-fermenting beer with an original gravity of between 11 and 16 degrees Plato (1.044—1.065). In practice almost all Kölsch brands have a very similar gravity near the middle of this range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revvy,

I was just using "lager" to mean "cold-condition," which is quite common for Kolsch. The original fermentation temp was about 60F, and after a few weeks, it seemed done, so I started the cold conditioning (I know this yeast goes dormant below 55). Unfortunately, it appears that the yeast was not quite finished.

And, it is very definitely over-carbed, there is no debating this one!

Sounds like your mistake was not checking a gravity before starting the cold conditioning. One thing you could do if the uncapping doesn't work is decant somewhat agressively into a large pitcher so that you wont get foam all over your counter then let it sit for 5 minutes or so then pour into your drinking glass from the pitcher. By that point your should get a reasonable amount of carbonation.

Sounds like your mistake was not checking a gravity before starting the cold conditioning. One thing you could do if the uncapping doesn't work is decant somewhat agressively into a large pitcher so that you wont get foam all over your counter then let it sit for 5 minutes or so then pour into your drinking glass from the pitcher. By that point your should get a reasonable amount of carbonation.

Yeah, until now, I have been EXTREMELY SLOWLY filling a glass up, then waiting like half an hour before drinking so that it's not like drinking champagne. This is just torture though...it's like that glass is just sitting there, taunting me. This is why I have to get this problem fixed :)

I'll try popping and recapping on 1 bottle and see if it works.

Just pour a few into the pitcher at a time (don't let it foam-over though) and just drink it up... :D That way, you'll get your HB fix and run through the bottles faster...

Back