wanting to try to make a hoppy light beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobody

Reaction score
i have amarillo and czech saaz pellets hopps on hand. i was wondering what other hops you would add to a brew to make it really hoppy. i'm going to make one where i add several different hops at different points in the boil. i have several different leaf hops on hand as well. i normally use them for dry hopping.

Well, if you're going for an American-style hoppy beer, I would look into Cascade and Northern Brewer to start. Those are kind of classic. Centennial is similar to Cascade, but has more bittering power. Nugget will give grassy, resiny notes and is a powerful bittering hop. Galena is also a powerful bittering hop with good aromas.

If you want something other than the American style of hoppiness, there are many other options. I would just google 'hop variety chart' or something similar; there are tables all over the web that compare and contrast hop varieties.

Hoppy? Flavor, aroma or bitterness? Which do you want? Try first wort hopping and dry hopping for some great combos.

i'm going to add it at different stages of the boil so it will be bitter and flavor i guess. i'll also dry hop as well.

I recently did something similar. I started with a German style pilsner and then beat it to death with Cascade. I did FWH, bittering, late and dry hopping additions and then lagered it. Turned out great. Good luck.

NO DONT DO IT!!!

what you want to do sounds like the san diego county session ale. talk about disappointment in a bottle. snagged it a while back, finally had it the other night. Its just all hop bitterness, nothing else. youve gotta have some backbone to support your hops dude.

nikkormat, that's a matter of personal taste.

To the OP, if you want an American style, go single hop on the Amarillo. If you want "Continental" style, go single hop on the Saaz. Either way, I assume you're shooting for a lower IBU, like 30, if it's a light beer. If that's the case, boil all the hops for 20 minutes or less. Make sure there's at least an ounce at flameout (or more for a higher OG). If you're after more IBU, then you might add some at 60 for IBUs. Then dry hop with an ounce or so (or more for higher OG).

Back