Should I use Amylase enzyme or just leave it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYB

Reaction score
So I had a stuck fermentation I couldn't get going again. It was my fault. Big beer and I forgot to make a starter. It's my FES, and the OG was 1.080. FG is 1.032. I added yeast and yeast nutrient and nothing happened. It was obviously a very weak fermentation. No krausen on the side of the bucket. I finally decided to keg it up and force carb it. It's drinkable, but not very enjoyable. Very thick and sweet (I don't like sweet beers, even barleywines). I just started reading up on the Amylase enzyme. Should I add that and see if it makes this more drinkable or just leave it be because it might backfire? Thanks.

Amylase enzyme won't help because the problem is that you didn't pitch enough viable yeast to finish the job, not that you have too many unfermentables.

Your options are either:
A) Pitch on a yeast cake from another brew (from 1.032, I would recommend this);
B) Pitch champagne yeast capable of restarting a stuck ferment such as Pasteur Champagne or EC-1118.

Unless you only brew once a year :) you should have SOME sort of brew you can pitch on the cake at some point, so just degas the beer and let it sit aside until you have a nice fat cake to pitch onto.

When I realized it was stuck I added more yeast and it did nothing. I'm kegging a Dry Stout, so I'll pitch on to that and see what happens. Thanks.

The FES is kegged, so do I need to try to decarb it any or should I just dump it on the yeast cake as is?

The FES is kegged, so do I need to try to decarb it any or should I just dump it on the yeast cake as is?

Degassing is a good idea, unless you have a very big fermenter.

Amylase enzyme can help if the problem was too high a mash temperature or excessive adjuncts.

Oh, what about my Imperial Stout. It seemed fine when I was bottling, added the sugar and it never carbed much and was too sweet (hydro sample was good), so I dumped them all into a keg and added more yeast. Didn't do anything and it's still a bad sweetness. It didn't finish bad. FG is 1.023. It's just has a bad sweetness to it.

Latest posts

Back