How much corn sugar per 12 oz bottle??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I always use carb tabs for my bottling. However, I ran out of tabs for the last 4 bottles. I dont want to end up with bottle bombs, so I need to ask if someone knows the proper amount of corn sugar to put into each bottle. I have them sitting with the caps on them waiting for some help. If I had to guess I was going to say a half a teaspoon each, but I could be wrong.

It has to be a fairly small amount.

Assuming you're using 4 oz. corn sugar for 5 gallon (640 oz) batch.

4/640 = .00625 oz (corn sugar) per oz of beer

.00625 x 12 = .075 oz corn sugar in 12 oz beer

.075 x 28.35 = 2.13 (# grams corn sugar per 12 oz bottle)

so you'd probably be safe w/ somewhere around 2 - 2.1 grams corn sugar per 12 oz bottle.

Well, I ended up finding that a teaspoon of sugar is 4.2g. So, I took .5 teaspoons per bottle. Which should be sufficiant for carbing. I believe that the cornsugar being a little more refined is weighing less, so It may be a little less.

Well, I ended up finding that a teaspoon of sugar is 4.2g. So, I took .5 teaspoons per bottle. Which should be sufficiant for carbing. I believe that the cornsugar being a little more refined is weighing less, so It may be a little less.

Did you mark those so you could tell the difference? I'd open one in a couple weeks and see how the carbonation's coming, and if it does the volcano when you open it, put the others in the fridge.

If it weighs less, then you'd have to wait longer for them to carb, but it's surprisingly hard to clean up a beer or two that exploded from what I hear...

It's surprisingly hard to put in the three or five times as much it would take to get a bottle bomb. I primed a Hefeweizen with a 1/2 lb cane sugar once (4 volumes, about like 4.5 grams per bottle of corn sugar) and IMO it didn't stress the bottles all that much. IMO bottle bombs come form bottling unfinished beer.

4 volumes may be a bit much but I had to do it to get an idea of what that much carbonation is (it's less then Duvel.) My Dunkel Weiss I primed with 6.8 oz cane sugar for 3.5 volumes. I think I like it right there. I feel safe even with my thinest bottles.

Back