Oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevind

Reaction score
So I've been distracted with some Mardi Gras celebrations lately, and when I bottled my last batch I forgot to add the priming sugar. I realized this only everything was capped. Not knowing what else to do, I opened everything up, carefully tried to pour it back into my bottling bucket, added the priming sugar, and re-bottled.

Obviously I'm worried about oxidation from all this transferring. Does anyone have any idea how badly this could turn out? I tried to keep all the splashing to a minimum, but it's difficult to pour 40ish bottles of beer into a bucket without causing some bubbling.

Welcome to HBT!

They will probably be fine but only time will tell with your beer. Oxidation takes time to develop it's flavor so maybe plan on drinking these sooner rather than later.

Welcome to HBT!

They will probably be fine but only time will tell with your beer. Oxidation takes time to develop it's flavor so maybe plan on drinking these sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the welcome, and the good news. Drinking sooner is always good news, correct?

Maybe a better answer (other than not forgetting in the first place) would be carbonation tablets like the Cooper's Drops. It would seem less likely to oxidize the beer.

Maybe a better answer (other than not forgetting in the first place) would be carbonation tablets like the Cooper's Drops. It would seem less likely to oxidize the beer.

MUNTON'S FTW! Allows much more flexibility. Coopers pretty much require you to have a 12oz bottle. Muntons, because the tabs are smaller and you're adding a few, allows you to be flexible with the carbonation level and with the bottle size. So carbing a 16.9oz german-style bottle, for instance, is easy to do.

Latest posts

Back