Anyone thought of one of these for a brewstand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So I am in the process of building a 1bbl EBIAB. With the size of my brewpot I need a stand about 18" tall for it to be at a "comfortable" height. I've gotten a quote for one made out of 2" square Steel, welded and painted. I'm also going to look at this stuff they use to build the frames out of for manufacturing machines, 8020.net

But while buying my electric hoist (for lifting the SS basket out of my brewpot) I saw this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html

This is about the cost I was quoted for the 2" Steel one. Thinking it might be handy to be able to move the pot up and down.

I don't know how true the weight ratings on Harbor Freight stuff actually is. It is probably fine for a 10 gallon system, but I would be wary of putting a 1 barrel tank of hot wort on there.

8020 aluminum on the other hand is great stuff.

As long as it won't tip it should handle the weight. Rated for 500 lbs. 1 bbl = 31.5 gallons. Water = 8.35 lbs. Say 9 lbs for safety factor = 283.5 and maybe 20 lbs for equipment.

If you could go to a Harbor Freight and check it out. Put something heavy on it and make sure it will go up and down without jerking. Splashing hot wort would not be fun.

I have been using a lift table for the past 5 years it works great. I have used it to lift a refrigerator to lift gate height so no problem lifting any size pot you want. I batch sparge and put my 25 gallon BK on the table so I can lift it high enough to gravity feed into my fermenters (no pumps needed). The table is also useful for lifting my kegs to kegerator height so I only need to slide and drop the kegs in, I have a bad back so I don't want to lift the kegs up that high, a real back saver.

Does that have "lockouts" like on their motorcycle lifts so you can lower to say 4 or 5 different levels and an arm locks it so it can't lower farther if the hydraulic jack bleeds off like a lot of them tend to do? If yes and that height works for you I would use it. If not, I wouldn't trust their hydraulics to hold boiling fluids steady. No way

Here is the bike lift http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-68892.html

I have the heavier one at home for loading and unloading heavy items into and out of my truck. It is built very sturdy and should work with no problem. The one you linked to I have seen in the store and it is not as thick a gauge metal as the better one. The other one rated for 1000 pounds is well built and it holds it's height without slipping. It also lowers very slowly and you can control it with the hand brake. If you squeeze the break all the way the table will drop to the bottom in a flash, but it you just partially squeeze the brake you can lower it at any rate you want. You can test it out in the store. Get a 20 percent off coupon and you will save some more cash. Here is the link to the one I have and am talking about:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-Capacity-Hydraulic-Table-Cart-60438.html

John

I have the heavier one at home for loading and unloading heavy items into and out of my truck. It is built very sturdy and should work with no problem. The one you linked to I have seen in the store and it is not as thick a gauge metal as the better one. The other one rated for 1000 pounds is well built and it holds it's height without slipping. It also lowers very slowly and you can control it with the hand brake. If you squeeze the break all the way the table will drop to the bottom in a flash, but it you just partially squeeze the brake you can lower it at any rate you want. You can test it out in the store. Get a 20 percent off coupon and you will save some more cash. Here is the link to the one I have and am talking about:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-Capacity-Hydraulic-Table-Cart-60438.html

John

+1 this is the table I have and can confirm everything john has stated.

Back