hazelnut syrup in rogue hazelnut brown nectar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drizztkun

Reaction score
Hi, I keep looking every where in montreal and cant find extract, so i'll order some, since i have 2 batch ready to keg, i decided to give a shot to hazelnut syrup but cant find how much to add to 5 gallon.

If anyone could give me an idea would be nice

I used this when I made my Rogue inspired beer:

http://www.flavorganics.com/Organic-Hazelnut-Extract/p/FLA-001184&c=

I was able to find it in my local grocery store. I only used 1/4 a bottle after reading other threads on the subject, as others stated that the extract can be really strong. if you search Rogue Hazelnut on here you will find a couple of threads on the subject.

If I make it again and use the same extract, I will use more, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of the bottle. The hazelnut flavor was there in the background, but did not stand out as much as I hoped.

Yeah i'll order the extract this weekend, i got 2 batch so i'll done one with the extract but id like to use the syrup for one so i can put it on the tap this week

but for syrup should i put more then 1 ounce?

I brewed a Rogue clone and found this in my notes. I ended up with 4.5 gallons in the bottling bucket (OG = 1.020). I added 50ml at the start to the bucket, swirled, and tasted. I believe I added a bit more to taste but not too much.

I did notice that the Hazelnut flavor seemed to grow overtime and after awhile became too overpowering. So just be careful. I would rather drink a brown porter with a slight hazelnut flavor than a hazelnut bomb that I have to choke down.

1.020 OG or FG?

I found that the potency of the hazelnut changed from pint to pint, as if the extract separated from the beer somewhat, like oil and water. Tasted more hazelnut at the beginning of the keg then the end of it.

With hazelnut extract its a 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon range. I like about 1.5 teaspoons. My wife likes the full tablespoon.

I recently contributed to a book of commercial beer recipes for homebrewers. I got the Rogue hazelnut recipe directly from John Maier. He said they use Northwestern hazelnut extract (http://www.nwextract.com/) and it's stronger than other brands. For the Northwestern extract, use 1/2 tsp. per 5 gal. If you use another brand, you'll have to experiment.

I have tried adding those kinds of syrups to stouts and porters (a couple drops in a pint) to see how the flavors meld together. Sometimes those can be overpowering too. I don't know if I would add it to a whole batch.

You could brew a smaller test batch (1 or 2 gallon) and see how it goes.

The best time to add any flavoring like that is at packaging, not in the fermenter. That way, you can add to taste and adjust as needed.

The best time to add any flavoring like that is at packaging, not in the fermenter. That way, you can add to taste and adjust as needed.

It's also worth remembering that most of those syrups have a pretty hefty sugar content, so make sure you take that into account if you're adding it into bottles. You don't want to have overcarbed beer or bombs.

Actually, it might make sense to just use that as your priming sugar instead of dextrose. I would definitely use a calculator to see how much you need so you don't overshoot.

I just bought a 6 pack of this would love to brew a clone

Here's the recipe, directly from John Maier. They alter is a bit occasionally, so it may differ from what you've seen elsewhere. This is what they were brewing as of May 2013.

OG: 1.057
FG: 1.016
ABV: 5.6%
IBU: 25
SRM: 26.2
Crush and steep in 2.75 gallons (10.41 L) of 152°F (66.66°C) water for 60 minutes:
2 lb. (.9 kg) Great Western Munich 10L
1.5 lb. (.68 kg) Great Western Crystal 75L
9 oz. (.25 kg) Great Western Crystal 15L
9 oz. (.25 kg) Great Western Crystal 120L
11 oz. (.31 kg) Baird Brown Malt
4 oz. (.11 kg) Franco-Belges Kiln Coffee Malt
½ tsp. Northwestern hazelnut extract (see note)
Strain the grain into your brew pot and sparge with 1 gallon (3.78 L) of water at 160°F (71.11°C). Bring the wort to a boil, remove from heat, and add:
3.75 lb. (1.7 kg) light dry malt extract.
Stir well until the extract is dissolved. Add water as needed to bring the volume to 3 gallons (11.35 L). Bring the wort to a rolling boil. Boil for 10 minutes, and then add:
1.2 oz. (34 g) Perle pellets hops (8.7% AA)
Boil for 60 minutes and then add:
.5 oz. (14.17 g) Sterling pellet hops (8.7% AA)
Remove from heat and let hops steep for 10 min. Then chill as quickly as possible to below 80°F (26.66°C). Transfer the wort to fermenter and add cold water to bring the total volume to 5 gallons (18.92 L). The temperature should be below 70°F (21.11°C) at this point. Aerate wort and pitch an appropriately sized starter of Wyeast 1764 Pacman yeast.
Ferment at 60-65°F (15.55-18.33°C) until final gravity is reached. You can either leave the beer in primary for 3 weeks, or transfer to a secondary fermenter for a week after final gravity is reached in the primary. Bottle when fermentation is complete with 4 oz. (.11 kg) corn sugar or keg and force carbonate to 2.5 vol. CO2. Add ½ teaspoon of Northwestern hazelnut extract at bottling or kegging.

All Grain Instructions
Replace extract with 7.75 lb. (3.51 kg) Great Western 2 row pale malt (approximately 1.8-2L). Crush the grain and mash all grain at 152°F (66.66°C) using 5.75 gallons (21.76 L) of water. Sparge with enough water at 180°F (82.22°C) to reach your intended boil volume.
Note: According to Brewmaster John Maier at Rogue Ales, Northwestern hazelnut extract is more potent than other brands. If you use another brand, you’ll have to add it gradually at packaging and taste to ascertain the proper amount.

Back