Mixing yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oilcan

Reaction score
Is it OK to mix a liquid yeast with a dry yeast if they are both recommended for that particular beer style? The beer in question is a AHS Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome clone- the recipe calls for WLP004 or Munton Gold Ale dry yeast, I ordered the WLP004 but I also have some Munton Gold ale yeast on hand and thought I would use it to insure a good yeast pitch, but I don't want to screw anything up.

Any thoughts?

Mixing yeast should not hurt anything. Many people will pitch a second type of yeast to finish off beer.

If you plan to reuse the yeast you will just have to see which one will be dominate in subsequent batches.

What would be the point of mixing the two? What is the OG? I see no point in wasting an extra thing of yeast. Are you afraid it won't ferment out?

What would be the point of mixing the two? What is the OG? I see no point in wasting an extra thing of yeast. Are you afraid it won't ferment out?

yeah I'm going to agree with this. just save the yeast for another batch.

Just make a starter with one them. I do it with cooper's dry yeast all the time,& it's been very good. Liquid yeast should get a starter anyway. Starters not only bring up the cell count by waking the yeasties up & getting them reproducing. But they also are in an highly excitable state at that point. Also referred to as high krausen.
They will start faster & more vigorously as well. Makes for a clean beer too.

How do you make a starter from a liquid yeast? I'm new-- I just made 2 batches both with liquid yeast and was wondering this...

AHS recommended double pitching for this particular recipe, but I had some of the dry yeast at home- that's why I was inquiring about using 2 different kinds. Liquid vs dry

AHS recommended double pitching for this particular recipe, but I had some of the dry yeast at home- that's why I was inquiring about using 2 different kinds. Liquid vs dry

It would be fine. Go for it if you want to play it safe with having a good pitch.

Doing a big starter will replace the need for double pitching, save your money and just do a big starter. Mrmalty.com will help you figure out how big of a starter to do.

Back