I just got some Trappist Yeast...what kind of recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I just got some trappist yeasts that I really enjoy from a brewer friend of mine and am going to make 10 gallons of a high alcohol (read 10% or so) beer that will be nice and balanced in the belgian style. I have a sack of Maris Otter that needs using. I am not looking for an over the top hoppy or malty style. So all that said, any thoughts? I will brew this tomorrow (sans planning, as per style).

I almost want to make a pale ale and just use this yeast for some crazy flavors and tastes. I am open to suggestions and ideas. I had a wit that used this yeast and it is delicious :tank:

Cheers

Usually a trappist yeast would be used to make a trappist ale style. They include Dubble, Tripple, Belgian Strong Pale and Belgian Strong Dark. Traditionally these would use Pilsner malts and Belgian speciality malts and not a British Pale malt like Maris Otter.

Check the recipe database for some ideas.

Craig

Thanks for that input, but that is the answer to a different question :) Being that this little recesion thing is here, I have a sack of MO that needs using prior to me going out and spending $50 on malt to brew a trappist style utilizing Pilsner malt or anything else fun like that.

That being said, with the esters that are given off from this yeast, what other style of beer would you think can be produced (that is light in color and 10%abv) and promote the yeast to the forfront? I have had two beers using this yeast, a blonde and a wit, both delicious. I feel that though they are delicious I need to make something that is higher than 6% and hold onto it for a while. Maybe even as high as 11% seeing as this is second generation and raring to go to high alc!

Just my opinion but i think you should make a Rochefort 10 clone. That is my favorite Trappist Ale (hell it's actually my favorite beer!) and the clone recipe here on HBT uses M.O. as one of the malts. Even though it's a dark ale and it seems like you're going for something lighter. Good luck!

Just to be a bit wacky, I'd think of doing something simple and SMASH like. Enough MO to get your 10% abv and enough early addition hops (fuggle, EKG, Willamette) to get you about 50 IBU to balance your malt and then let the yeast be the star. If you're really jazzed about the yeast, I would make that your focus and avoid too many more malt/hop bells and whistles.

Gordie

Thanks for that input, but that is the answer to a different question :) Being that this little recesion thing is here, I have a sack of MO that needs using prior to me going out and spending $50 on malt to brew a trappist style utilizing Pilsner malt or anything else fun like that.

That being said, with the esters that are given off from this yeast, what other style of beer would you think can be produced (that is light in color and 10%abv) and promote the yeast to the forfront? I have had two beers using this yeast, a blonde and a wit, both delicious. I feel that though they are delicious I need to make something that is higher than 6% and hold onto it for a while. Maybe even as high as 11% seeing as this is second generation and raring to go to high alc!

Sorry misunderstood the question.

In that case I would make a Belgian strong dark with the MO instead of the Pilsner and Munich. Use some Special B and some sugar (belgian candy is the traditional way to go but it is expensive). It won't be quite the same but if you control your pitching rates and fermentation temps well then it should be a very tasty Belgian style ale.

Ofcourse that is not a pale beer. I expect that a dark strong would work better with the MO than a light beer. Trying to do a Strong Blonde Belgian beer will really make the MO come to the fore front. However if that is what you want to try then go for it.

Craig

Well after all is said and done I am going to be making a rather golden colored beer. Will use 35lbs of MO and 5lbs of Rye and then hop it to about 21IBU's using Magnum and Tettnanger. Will brew this up tomorrow if all goes as planned and should make for an interesting beer me thinks. The plan is to get about 1.100 out of it and get it down to a nice and dry 1.020 or less (according to what I understand about this yeast). A nice 10% or so.

It will be the highest gravity I have done yet!

If you want to take it from 1.100 to 1.020 then you better mash low. Like 148 for an hour and half. You might also want to think about adding some sugar to the boil. You'll want to keep it to about 10% or less of the fermentables.

Yes sir, yes sir. In an effort to continue my wild ride, I will be using 4lbs of Light Brown Sugar in addition to the 35lbs of MO and 5lbs of Rye. Also will mash around 147-148 for 90 mins. Magnum to bitter and Tettnang for aroma. 20-25IBU's

I just doughed in 35lbs of malt at 1/1 and that was a mofo! So I added another 2 gallons to make a nice and easy 1.25/1. That i think is the official limit of my kettle. There is just enough room to get my oven thermometer wire between the lid and not get my probe wet...although it is nice to get your probe wet once in a while :)

Hit my temp square in the eyes at 148 for the first 15 minutes and now holding at 147. That is a miracle for sure as I still haven't gotten the software to figure out the correct strike temps :(

Off to clean up, do some work in the garage and then back in 45 minutes to start the chore of sparging! I have gotten my workout for the day stirring that grain in...jesus christo!

by the by, is the grain that is now comfortably sitting in the pot swell up too much so that I won't be able to sparge adequately?

Just finished the sparge and starting the boil. Should get to hot break in the next half hour. This thing is gorgeous looking. The yeast is out getting to room temp and I have about a cup of wort cooling to get the yeast happy before pitching in the next two hours.

The grain didn't swell up, if anything it lost volume, which was good. It means I might be able to get 40 or 45lbs into the kettle. Very nice.

Not to revive a dead horse, but I am sitting aside my keg as it ferments this bad boy and it smells just beautiful. Apples, yeasty, oranges, citrusy and so many other flavors. I can't wait for it to come out.

Sitting currently at 70* and will most likely get up to 75ish or so. Started at 25 plato or just shy of 1.100. So exciting!

I just checked with the hydrometer and got a reading of 6.9plato (1.027ish), 9.63%abv and still going at 69.5*f. I am excited! I tasted the sample and it is interesting to say the least. That yeast is just crazy! There are so many little flavors going on I can't really explain it. Like spices, apples, berries, vegetables, pie, tart, tangy, mustard, greens, and on and on. The alcohol isn't really noticable right now, though I will say that the amount of sugar makes that understandable. According to what I understand this yeast is supposed to get down to around 1.010 though if I make it to 1.020 I will be happy.

WooHoo! :mug::ban::rockin::D

I just checked this bad boy again and we are sitting at the one month point. It is looking sweet!

We have finished fermentation at 1.022 and 10.47% alcohol. It is a beast if I ever met one. On tasting there are still those lovely apple flavors and spice (all from the yeast, which is why I went with this recipe), the alcohol is definitely in the background where it is supposed to be. The bitterness is so low that it just covers up the sweet that is remaining (5% sugar still there). If I had to do this again I would mash around 146* as opposed to the 147-148 that I hit.

photo-740888.jpg

I am loving the color, though could definately see doing a Trippel some day later in life using the Belgian Pilsner (I just got 5lbs so maybe I will make a double of some sort).

I just kegged up 10 gallons of this guy. I tested it and it is sitting at 5.6 plato or 1.023 and 10.5% abv. It will now hang out for a bit prior to me starting to carb it slightly and then bottle

photo-745906.jpg

that looks yummy. i have done similar brews with rahr 2 row and white labs abbey and bastogne, the bastogne is a beast. i would suggest doing a ipa with belgian yeast. stone makes a couple the 8.08.08 was and the cali-belgique is as well. both freakin awesome, my attempt was good but not quite there.

I totally agree on doing a Belgian IPA. I will be doing that next time I use a Belgian Yeast. I think that I will brew up a blonde and then pitch the IPA onto the cake. Aim for around 1.080 or 1.090 and dry hop the bejesus out of it.

photo-731502.jpg

photo-734245.jpg

photo-717871.jpg

After another 2 months of aging in the keg I figured that I needed to take a sample. A rather large sample :) It looks to me that I will be enjoying it later on down the road as well (with 10 gallons). It is sweet for sure at 1.025, not sickly though. The yeast is really making this fruity, apples, and slight spice. I dig it. There is no carbonation currently, but the foam on top is because of a very pressurized keg (no O2 please).

Anyways, I just thought that I would update it.

Hey Matt , good post, keep the updates uh...updated..
i got one mean tripple under my belt, the first and only so far, my equipment is small
( i hate saying that ) so i did a 3.5 gallon batch and got 1.090 og. i think we brewed around the same time, i used safale 33.
one thing you mentioned is that the alcohol 'taste' is in the backround, mine on the otherhand is very prominent. could be the belgian dark candi i used..so im waiting for it to mellow..seems like itll be awhile.

Good to see. I haven't tried this since that last post. Maybe I will grab a small sample and see what it is tasting like again. It is only an additional three weeks old though, so I am not expecting too much difference.

IMGP5451.JPG

I am starting to get the molasses like flavor coming out in the back (from the brown sugar). Very interesting flavors, I will taste it throughout the course of the day and if there is any difference noted as it warms up and changes, I will post.

Back