Where is my krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleBrew

Reaction score
Hi All,

I would love any feedback you have on my third beer, a Chimay clone, that I am worried about.

Yesterday, after I finished my boil and brought the wort to temperature, I whisked and aerated as best as I could then pitched my yeast (per the instructions, I built up a ½ gallon starter in a growler, which didn’t appear to have much activity—sediment at the bottom but no krausen at the top).

This morning (14 hours after pitching yeast) I can see an inch of something at the bottom of my plastic bucket but no krausen at the top. This is the first time I am using a blow-off tube instead of my airlock, because given the high alcohol of the Chimay clone, I didn’t want to get my apartment messy. I don’t see much activity in the blow-off tube, but pushing down lightly on my plastic bucket forces bubbles out of the tube.

Does this sound normal or acceptable? I’m worried because my first beer (a stout) had TONS of krausen visible the morning after and turned out very good, while my second (a wheat) had very little and turned out to be sweet with very little alcohol.

Thoughts are very welcome.

Tyler

What kind of yeast are you using? Some strains krausen, some don't really krausen, some krausen a lot.

I didn't unfortunately. I don't have a wine/wort thief and I am timid using my crappy turkey baster. Thanks for your thoughts, I hope I'm fine. :)

Back