washing WLP002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
Any hints? I generally go by the Wyeast site instructions for yeast washing: Putting in some sanitized water....swirl...allow trub to settle out...pour supernatant containing suspended yeast into sanitized vessel (a little more to it than that, but not much).

Problem I have with WLP002/English Ale yeast is that it's so flocculant it settles out just as fast as the trub, if not faster, so I have a hard time separating it well. I get yeast, but mixed with trub.

Anyone have any tricks to washing this strain effectively?

I've found the same thing, the yeast settles out almost instantaneously. What I've done, is either store it with the trub for short periods of time or try to get out as much trub as possible in the whirlpool and subsequent transfer to the carboy, in order not to have much "junk" mixed with the yeast after fermentation.

Yeah, it can be tough. I tend to just let the yeast drop out first and then the trub, and then I pour the trub out leaving the yeast. Repeat that a few times and it cleans up nicely.

Back