Too much sugar added

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingPeace

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers! I had long since been on this site, but upon making a wash with too much sugar (I suspect) I have arrived here. I am not sure where this post belongs, but I decided that MEAD section would be appropriate, being mead is usually a sugar (honey) and water.

This was just a sugar wash for high alcohol content, I do not recall how much sugar i put in, however I did use turbo yeast which the package said 20 percent in 7 days. It was been about 3 weeks and I did have a vigorous ferment, however there is still 10 percent potential left measured by hydrometer.

If I diluted this solution with water, would it ferment the rest of the sugar?
I tasted it, and it leaves some fire breath, so I suspect there is a good amount of alcohol in this. My thinking is that by diluting the solution that would leave more room to produce more alcohol. I have about 4 gallons (little more maybe) in my 5 gallon carboy. It is still slowly bubbling, very little. in a week it has moved almost 1 percent, and slowing the process.

Any thoughts, redirection of where this thread should be and advice is highly appreciated!

Cheers!
:mug:

guessing you plan on cooking this at boiling temps????
My suggestion is to forget about turbos and visit homedistiller.org

If there's sugar left in it the yeast will eat it. Unless the alcohol it self is killing the yeast off.

Thanks for your replies! So I do know if there is sugar there is going to be yeasts eating them up. What i am worried about is that I have alcohol choking out the yeast, leaving a bunch of sugar behind. If I dilute the wash with water and add more yeast possibly, will this continue to ferment the rest of the sugars. 10 percent potential is pretty sweet to drink. :)
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back