Adding alcohol question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I have an AHS Double Chocolate Stout that was a little short of the OG and a little too high in the FG.

I'm looking at a stout with 3.8% alcohol.

I'ts in a secondary. Anyway I can get another 1% into it?

Or should I be happy and move on.

There's not really anything you could do with it right now to just add alcohol(Well there "IS" but I wouldn't advise it)

What was your OG and FG?

don't bottle if it's not fermented out. pitch some dry yeast and let it go for another few weeks at least.

The stout at the brewery I just got a job at is very near 3.8%. Don't sweat it, just learn from it. I made 3 batches and 2%, so it could be worse!

In my opinion as long as it tastes good, who cares what the ABV is. Besides most stouts are only 3 to 5% anyways, well except Imperial Stouts.

1.045 which was low
1.020 which was a surprise.

As long as others have had "MILD" Porters I'll go with it.

this being one of my first Mini Mash's I made the mistake and only sparged with 1/2 the water (1 quart instead of 2).

Is this why the OG was 1.045???

most stouts are only 3 to 5%

REALLY? hmmmm I always thought they were stronger. Thanks

1.045 which was low
1.020 which was a surprise.

Did you taste the mini mash extract? It sounds like a stalled fermentation or a poor mash. If it's the latter, I don't know if there is much that can be done to fix it. If it's just stalled, start by bringing up the temperature and shake the fermenter to get the yeast back into suspension. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd suggest pitching a small yeast starter, along with some yeast fuel and nutrients, at peak activity (i.e. don't let it ferment out, don't chill it, don't decant the liquid - pitch the whole thing at peak kraeusen).

Back