Sealant Acceptable for HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a cooler which i intend on using as my HLT. It was a quick & dirty fabrication, and the valve thru the wall leaks a little. I've got the outside sealed up with this sealant, but i was hoping someone had any info on whether it could be used on the *inside* of the tank, too:

Bath & Kitchen Silicone II

Although it'll only see barely boiling water, i don't want any toxins leeched out.

Well from what I see it should work. But nowhere does it say its food safe. If anything bad does get in there it will go through a boil but I don't know if that will fix the problem.

I think the best thing to do would be go get some rubber o-rings and put them against the wall between the washers and the cooler. That should fix the issue.

I'm not sure about your HLT, but when I built my MLT, out of a cooler, I bought a high temp, two part epoxy, to fill in around the valve assembly that replaced the drain valve. You might want to look at something like that instead. I can't remember the heat level, but it was well over the boiling point. Something like 300*. I just got it at the local hardware store.

Good luck

I bought some food grade silcone from McMaster when I had to seel a old thermometer hole in my cooler mashtun. The part number is 7545A471

(102, 103, 108, & 109) Multipurpose— Use for sealing, bonding, and gasketing. Won't run on overhead and vertical surfaces. Adhere to metal, glass, wood, silicone resin, vulcanized silicone rubber, ceramics, natural and synthetic fiber, and plastics. Begin to harden in 20 minutes. Temp. range is -75° to +400° F. Meet MIL-A-46106B, Group I, Type I. FDA compliant and USDA approved. NSF-51 certified for use with food equipment materials. UL recognized.
[/FONT][/FONT]

Back