Priming with Belgian Candi Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehlgood

Reaction score
I have a (Belgian) Scotch Ale in secondary and plan on bottling this coming weekend. I picked up some dark Belgian candi sugar for priming. The guy at the LHBS recommend 5 oz for my 5 gallon batch. After some research I found a helpful chart on John Palmers website. If I am reading the chart correctly it says to use 2-3 oz of cane sugar (I am assuming this has the same properties as candi sugar) for a Belgian style ale.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience bottling with candi sugar and if you would throw some knowledge my way. I would hate to end up with bombs or duds in the fridge.

Cool. Thanks. That's about what Palmer suggests but it seems a little more accurate. I think I would be sorry if I use 5 oz.

I could very easily see carbonating to three volumes of CO2 which would need five ounces of sugar for five gallons. That would not be unusual for a strong Belgian ale.

Are you going for more of a tripel or BDSA level of carbonation or a more gentle scotch ale level?

I could very easily see carbonating to three volumes of CO2 which would need five ounces of sugar for five gallons. That would not be unusual for a strong Belgian ale.

+1. also, candi sugar has a lower ppg than cane sugar, so you'd need more

Going for something around double to triple. Belgian strong. I am hoping to weigh in around 8%.

Northern brewers priming calculator has Belgian candi syrup as one of the priming options. 10 gallons was almost a 1 lb pouch for my dubbel. (356 grams)

Northern brewers priming calculator has Belgian candi syrup as one of the priming options. 10 gallons was almost a 1 lb pouch for my dubbel. (356 grams)

356 grams is not 1 pound- it's 12 1/2 ounces. If you used a whole pound, I'd be cautious with the amount of carbonation.

Correct, my usage of "almost" was vague. I used enough to get me to 3 volumes as going more than that was dangerous. I weighed it out and still had some left in the pouch. I've done 3.2 in regular bottles before and they didn't break but it still made me nervous.

Back