My first batch -- What went wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerGrrrl

Reaction score
Greetings,

First time posting, first time brewing, yadda yadda

So I was able to drink my first batch of beer just yesterday. I realized quickly that I had messed up the cooling process and I did not activate the yeast properly. So when I went to open my bottles I was expecting the beer to be very flat and undrinkable.
The latter was true yet when I popped open the bottled it certainly POPPED and would not stop foaming for a good couple of minutes, this happened with every bottle.
It was a Belgian Saison ingredient kit from my local brew store. I am already on my third batch and doing many things differently. Now I understand that I probably did many things wrong with my first batch but I am not discouraged! You learn something new every time. But I am just very curious to as why the excessive amount of overflow occured. If there is an easy answer I would love to hear it!

There was probably still too much active yeast suspended in the beer at bottling, mixed with too much priming sugar, resulting in geysers! While entertaining, they can be dangerous when they reach "bottle bomb" status and start blowing sh*t up!

Oops, forgot to add..."imagine your primary fermenter completely sealed with nowhere for the excess CO2 to go. That is basically what (likely) happened with your saison."

EDIT: alright, still forgot to make a more solid point...I'm a few bombers in. Forgive me :drunk:

how long did you chill your bottles for before opening? Cold beer can dissolve much more C02 than warmish beer. Also, several weeks of additional aging can help dissolve more C02 into the beer. Something you can consider doing if you still have the excess carbonation issues is to just decant the beers in a pitcher for about 15 minutes before you want to drink them.

Latest posts

Back