Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alecoholic

Reaction score
What can I use Oats in besides Oatmeal Stout and Witbier? I have over 20lbs of minute oats. I just brewed an oatmeal stout and want to use up some more of these oats.

You could include oats, under 5% in about any beer to add to head retention. I've done Ordinary Bitter recipes of 95% Maris Otter malt and 5% oats that have come out fantastic.
APA, American Amber, Irish Red, American Stout etc...

Maybe a cream ale with oats instead of corn... that could be interesting.

Or, you could make oatmeal for 100s or cookies! Why get 20lbs of Minute oats? I buy the Quaker Quick Oats at the supermarket and just use that for breakfast and brewing. *shrug*

Grocery store in my town went out of business and was selling them for .50 a pound and I went nuts and bought 25 lbs. I was planning on brewing with them, I did a Wit and an Oatmeal stout and still have over 20lbs left.

I use them on my brown ale. See my recipe drop down for "Silky Brown Ale". But as stated earlier, they'll work in just about any style. Wits, some Belgian ales, etc.

Back