First ever batch...need a hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
Gang,

I just made my very first batch of beer, but I think I pitched my yeast at too cool a temp. I pitched liquid yeast when the wort was at about 65 degrees. It's been around six hours now and not even a bubble....just brown stuff in a carboy.

Should I warm the carboy to kick it into gear? Did I not aerate enough? When should i see something happening?

If I ruined my first batch of beer after all the time and money it took to get this rig together I'll lose it. I swear to God, I'll lose it.

Hunter

Six hours is nowhere near long enough to panic. RDWHAHB. If everything is all sealed up nice and tight, nothing to worry about. Give it at least another day before thinking about re-pitching.

Thanks! I read the label on the yeast, which said that fermentation should begin in 5-15 hours and the temp should be at least 70 degrees constantly until fermentation begins. Hopefully something will kick in soon.

No don't do anything!
Take look tomorrow (24-72 hrs) - and I am sure it will be active.
After 72 hours, and no activity - then you may need to correct (not throw out anything).
Relax. :) I am sure it will be fine - and right now is too early too tell anything about the yeast.

Cheers.

65 degrees is perfect-no worries. There's no way on God's Green Earth that you'll get noticeable fermentation within 5 hours unless you make a starter, and I wouldn't even worry about that until you get a few batches under your belt. I've waited as many as three days before I saw bubbles in the airlock. A lot of it depends on how old the yeast is. I read somewhere that you should add 1 day of lag time for each month past the date printed on the yeast package. Relax, have a store-bought beer and look forward to popping the top on your first homebrew.

Axegod said:
No don't do anything!
Take look tomorrow (24-72 hrs) - and I am sure it will be active.
After 72 hours, and no activity - then you may need to correct (not throw out anything).
Relax. :) I am sure it will be fine - and right now is too early too tell anything about the yeast.

Cheers.

I'm feeling a lot better now!

So...let's say the wors happens and in three days there's still nothing going on. How do I "correct" things?

I am sure sometime within the next 48 hrs you'll post: "hey, its bubbling really good now "
You may need to add yeast again if nothing happens in 48-72 hrs ...But I stress that this is unlikely as the temp. you said was great. Hell I stick my hand in the beer to take temperature....i don't even use a thermometer (not recommended because it could contaminate).

Relax, have some beers..and take a look tommorrow. If it is still worrying you in a few more days, post details of how everything was made, and you'll get plenty of feedback/suggestions...but the yeast temp. should not be a concern.

Some other adivce: Write down the ingredients, times, volumes, temps, etc as this will help you in making your next batch since you will now have a good reference point. If you forget something or aren't sure..note that in the record...
I found that good records go a long way!

Cheers.

Dont worry, my first batch took about 2 days before I noticed bubbles in the airlock. Now go buy a sam adams, enjoy it, and save the bottles for later bottling of your own brew.

Yeah, relax. It may take a couple of days for the yeast to kick in seeing you didn't make a starter. The temperture you pitched at is fine.
I notice in your sig that you plan on making root beer. If you do then dedicate all your plastic equipment to it as the flavor might not be able to be removed from your equipment. This also applies to any gaskets on the kegs if you plan on putting the root beer there also.

I bow to your brilliance!

Yep...bubbles in the lock.

My hefeweizen is going so hard I had to get a blow off bucket. Seems like it boils ever 5-10 seconds pretty well.

now here's the way to circumvent all those panic'd hours of worry. next time make a starter.

boo boo said:
Yeah, relax. It may take a couple of days for the yeast to kick in seeing you didn't make a starter. The temperture you pitched at is fine.
I notice in your sig that you plan on making root beer. If you do then dedicate all your plastic equipment to it as the flavor might not be able to be removed from your equipment. This also applies to any gaskets on the kegs if you plan on putting the root beer there also.

Thanks for that advice! The root beer extract did fill the house! Looks like I'll be labeling my "root beer" equipment tonight!

Latest posts

Back