Cider changed colors during carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracyt1800

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a gallon of hard cider from unpasteurized juice from a local orchard. I managed for forget about it for a month or so and then noticed that the airlock had run dry when I checked it. I refilled the airlock after another month the cider had changed colors to an odd olive greenish color (see bottle on right below) and there were some floaters on top.

I decided to bottle anyway. Part of it I did still, and part of it I carbonated with Coopers carbonation drops. This was two weeks ago. This morning I pulled out the bottles and the carbonated bottles had changed back to the original color but the still bottles remained olive greenish.

Any ideas about what happened?

Carbonated on the left, still on the right.
colorchangingcider-56857.jpg

The process of carbonation can sometimes kick the yeast up. When they are in suspension the light that passes through the beer reflects differently and creates an apparent color change. No need to worry :mug:

The process of carbonation can sometimes kick the yeast up. When they are in suspension the light that passes through the beer reflects differently and creates an apparent color change. No need to worry :mug:

Thanks Reno!

So, is the initial olive green color anything to be concerned about? All my past ciders (a dozen or so) have always been a gold-ish color. This was the first batch with this particular variety of juice, though. All the others have been grocery store brands.

Oh yeah the type of apple of process of getting the cider/juice will make for different colors. Again, nothing to be concerned about.

Latest posts

Back