American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gathering ingredients for another batch. This will probably stay in my rotation for a long time... I love it :mug:

I made this but with some slight differences. I used 13# 2-row, 1# Maris Otter, .5# caramunich and .5# crystal 80 for 5 gallons. WLP 001 in a 1.5 ltr starter. Made for a maltier brew. The head retention is amazing. Im going to do this again in 10 gal batches. This a regular rotation beer.

I just tried the real Dogfish 60 for the first time as I was eyeing this recipe deciding to brew it or not. What a fantastic IPA, but it looks VERY light compared to pictures I've seen in here. Almost Pilsner light.

Has this recipe changed over the years since it came out? The Dogfish website says 60 IBU's and 6.0% ABV. This recipe is over 7% ABV does anyone adjust?

Also what can I substitute Fawcett Amber with?

Yooper states to stick to the TF amber, as no replacement has been found, but maybe someone has found something. My googefu led to little hope.

Yooper, you mentioned that you now use a "15/5/0, evenly divided" hop schedule as opposed to the continuous hopping. Could you clarify this a little, are you adding 1/2 the warrior at 60 then mixing the remainder and seperating it into 3 batches for additions at 15/5/0?

Also, have you noticed any flavor difference doing it this way.

I have made this about 5 times each with the original instructions but 15/5/0 sure would be easier.

Thanks for the help!

Yooper, you mentioned that you now use a "15/5/0, evenly divided" hop schedule as opposed to the continuous hopping. Could you clarify this a little, are you adding 1/2 the warrior at 60 then mixing the remainder and seperating it into 3 batches for additions at 15/5/0?

Also, have you noticed any flavor difference doing it this way.

I have made this about 5 times each with the original instructions but 15/5/0 sure would be easier.

Thanks for the help!

Lately, I've been adding the warrior (or magnum, if I don't have warrior) at 60 minutes, and then dividing up the simcoe and amarillo and adding it at 15/5/0 and then an additional dryhop. I really haven't noticed a difference between that and the continuous hopping.

I made this into my house IPA by doing this, and in some cases increasing the late hops. For example, today I added the bittering hops, and then did 15/5/0 but increased the 0 addition to .5 ounce for each. It's definitely NOT DFH that way though! It's got a much hoppier grapefruit nose this way.

So how is this going to turn out using Victory instead of Amber and using WLP530 Abbey Ale yeast as opposed to Pacman or Nottingham?

I just used safale abbay ale in a ipa with a similar grain bill but all Amarillo except a 60 min warrior addition. Super good. If won't taste like DFH at all, but I imagine it would be great.

I figured as much. I got a Yooper's DFH 60 clone kit from Homebrew Supply and realized that the recipe is nothing like Yoopers. I've got some Nottingham so I'll probably sub that but there'e nothing I can do about the Victory malt as the kit came milled. Oh well, It'll be beer.

I figured as much. I got a Yooper's DFH 60 clone kit from Homebrew Supply and realized that the recipe is nothing like Yoopers. I've got some Nottingham so I'll probably sub that but there'e nothing I can do about the Victory malt as the kit came milled. Oh well, It'll be beer.

Yep, I picked up the same one. Starting it today. Let us know how your's turns out. I am going to run with whatever the kit provided and cross my fingers.

HOLY CRAP!!! Just realized I never checked the hops when i bought it (a month ago) I just grabbed the hops and threw them in the freezer. I checked the grains. But I am short the Warrior hops :mad:. I have Hallertau Mittelfruh and Tettnang... for a Belgian I have planned. And worse, the only homebrew in Corpus is in a liquor store... they are closed on Sunday. So I'm stumped. Any ideas?

If all the hops you have are spoken for, your options are kinnda limited. If it were me, I'd take the hop with the highest alpha acid you have and move some or all of it to the beginning of the boil.

Honestly I wouldn't sweat it too much. There are people who don't use any bittering hops in their IPAs, and instead just dump the entirety of the hop schedule in the kettle at the end of the boil. YMMV, but that's an option too.

If all the hops you have are spoken for, your options are kinnda limited. If it were me, I'd take the hop with the highest alpha acid you have and move some or all of it to the beginning of the boil.

Honestly I wouldn't sweat it too much. There are people who don't use any bittering hops in their IPAs, and instead just dump the entirety of the hop schedule in the kettle at the end of the boil. YMMV, but that's an option too.

that is what I did. I just hope it turns out. :mug:

just a quick update.
(This brew is now far from this recipe... :( I'm pretty sure I'll title this one "defective clone")
I dry hopped this with 2oz of Lemondrop and the rest (.5oz) of the Sicome I had. I just moved it to the secondary and realized I didn't use irish moss. So I guess it's gelatin before bottling, but it tasted quite pleasant. Any brew I've been brave enough to try this early on has not been enjoyable, but this one made me want to down the rest of the hydrometer sample. (Cooler heads prevailed.)

Brewed this today, OG was 1.074
Dropped some hops on the ground so I will need to add more to dry hop. Oops
excited to keg this one in a few weeks!

My numbers came out a little off. Og 1.060 fg 1.004 I used us-05 it tastes really good though. I did not rack to a secondary either so my first few haven't been too clear.

I did this one about 6 months ago. Savoring the last few and getting ready to make it again. I did the extract version last time but going to do try the all grain version this time. Takes longer but I want to play with grain and maybe use pilsner.

11.9 lbs American 2 - Row
8 oz 20L Crystal Malt

1 oz Warrior
2 oz Simcoe
2 oz Amarillo

Wyeast 1187 or Safale S-04

View attachment catbird_3600_all_grain.pdf

Ok...this was kegged 4 days ago. I followed recipe except Sub'd my 1st year nugget for the magnum. I also used omega west coast ale yeast slurry. OG 80...FG 13.... Wooooooo hoooooo!!!:ban: Ok..maybe I mashed 149ish....oops?

Wow..I'm going to have to go buy a Dogfish 60 to see how it compares. My house IPA is a 2 hearted clone...all centennial......so you can imagine the shock when I first sipped this beauty. :fro: It's a little boozy...very little...just enough to let you know that you're not in the kiddie corral. Citrus...citrus...wow..what a wonderful change from 2 hearted...I'm loving it....I still love my 2H...a lot...a whole lot....but this recipe is awesome. I only wish Yoop could stop by for a glass to offer an opinion....and receive much gratitude for a wonderful recipe!

Brew on!

image.jpg

I''m so glad you love it as much as I do! The simcoe/amarillo combination is such an awesome combo and I still reach for this beer as one of "my" classics to have on hand.

I''m so glad you love it as much as I do! The simcoe/amarillo combination is such an awesome combo and I still reach for this beer as one of "my" classics to have on hand.

I only have 4 taps and try to keep variety to please the masses ...but..I can't help wonder how great it would be to alternate from glass to glass between this and the 2 hearted centennial IPA! I think i will slide that 2H into rotation a little early just to have some in!

Are you watching the Wings?

I only have 4 taps and try to keep variety to please the masses ...but..I can't help wonder how great it would be to alternate from glass to glass between this and the 2 hearted centennial IPA! I think i will slide that 2H into rotation a little early just to have some in!

Are you watching the Wings?

You're making me crave 2 Hearted now!

Not watching the Wings- we spend the worst part of the winter in S. Texas and we've been busy fishing this evening, and having a cook out, so hockey seems like a far away idea right now! We'll be back to winter in a month or so, and I'll probably feel more "hockey-ish" then, I'm sure!

You're making me crave 2 Hearted now!

Not watching the Wings- we spend the worst part of the winter in S. Texas and we've been busy fishing this evening, and having a cook out, so hockey seems like a far away idea right now! We'll be back to winter in a month or so, and I'll probably feel more "hockey-ish" then, I'm sure!

Ok..so it's a date...SW MI is on your way home anyway. I'll have some Dogfish 60 and 2H on tap and I'll even save a couple cans of hopslam. Let me know how you like your burger. :mug:

Ok..so it's a date...SW MI is on your any home anyway. I'll have some Dogfish 60 and 2H on tap and I'll even save a couple cans of hopslam. Let me know how you like your burger. :mug:

Sounds great! Unfortunately, lower MI is not on our route home. :mad:

We come through Missouri, up through Wisconsin. While I would love to have those beers, I doubt you could talk my husband and dog into the extra miles. :p

Sounds great! Unfortunately, lower MI is not on our route home. :mad:

We come through Missouri, up through Wisconsin. While I would love to have those beers, I doubt you could talk my husband and dog into the extra miles. :p

Uh oh... I just asked my puppy and she insists on meeting your dog so what your hubby or my wife thinks is irrelevant ... Would you like chips or fries with your burger? :tank:

Is this recipe up to date (on page 1) based on any changes, etc. Thinking about brewing it this weekend. Would be my first IPA and I love Dogfish Head 60.

Was planning to brew Biermuncher's Outerlimits IPA but I'm nervous about the attenuation so I might hold off a bit.

Also, my LHBS does not have THOMAS Fawcett but they do have Muntons Amber Malt. Will this work well in this recipe?

Kegged this a couple days ago, how long do IPA's last in the keg? I'm going away for 3 weeks and I'm worried ill lose the dry hopping aroma

Also, mine finished at 1.007 or 8.8%
Wowza

Is this recipe up to date (on page 1) based on any changes, etc. Thinking about brewing it this weekend. Would be my first IPA and I love Dogfish Head 60.

Was planning to brew Biermuncher's Outerlimits IPA but I'm nervous about the attenuation so I might hold off a bit.

Also, my LHBS does not have THOMAS Fawcett but they do have Muntons Amber Malt. Will this work well in this recipe?

I would assume the Munton's would be very similar, but I've never used it.

I still make this beer often, but usually don't bother with the 'continuous hopping' and just add the hops at 60 (the bittering), 15/5/0. I haven't noticed a big difference.

Kegged this a couple days ago, how long do IPA's last in the keg? I'm going away for 3 weeks and I'm worried ill lose the dry hopping aroma

Also, mine finished at 1.007 or 8.8%
Wowza

The aroma may fade a bit over three weeks, but keeping it cold in the keg definitely helps keep it from aging so fast.

Picked up my ingredients yesterday so I'm going to brew it this coming weekend.

Yooper,
What temp do you mash at?

My original gravity with this one was 1.072....1.5 packets of S-04 yeast took it down to 1.007. 8.6%!!!!

Brewing this in the morning. Mash temp and time question:

Mash at 152F for 60 minutes or.....?
I'm batch sparking so sparge at 168F?

Thanks!

Just wanted to say I brewed this recently and it turned out fantastic! Best of my brews so far and was adored by fellow beer drinking friends. I added my hops at 2 minute intervals as shown in my recipe below. O.G. was 1.065 and finished at 1.017. I just put down another version of this last Monday, using 2-row instead of MO and just did the more conventional additons of hops at 60,15,5 and 0. Can't wait!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 30.84 l
Post Boil Volume: 25.84 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 22.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 11.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 53.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.6 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes