Kölsch recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuphish

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to brew a Kölsch and would like some feedback on the recipe that I've put together. If I've left any crucial information out, please let me know and I'll add it.

Batch Size: 5 gal.
Boil Volume: 2.43 gal.

2 lbs. Pilsen Light DME (Boil for 60 mins)
3 lbs. Pilsen Light DME (Boil for 5 mins)
.5 lb. CaraPils (Steep for 30 mins @ 155-160F)
.25 lb. Caramel/Crystal 10L (Steep for 30 mins @ 155-160F)
.5 oz. Perle 8% (60 minutes)
.25 oz. Perle 8% (40 minutes)
1 oz. Hallertauer 4.8% (5 minutes)
1 Kölsch Yeast (Wyeast 2565)

BeerSmith provides the following statistics for the recipe.

OG Est.: 1.044
FG Est.: 1.011
Est. Color: 3.7
IBUs: 25.0

Any questions, comments or feedback would be much appreciated!

Drop
.5 lb. CaraPils (Steep for 30 mins @ 155-160F)
.25 lb. Caramel/Crystal 10L (Steep for 30 mins @ 155-160F)

Add some Wheat extract to 10% of total

I'd drop the Caramel and the 5-min hop addition (use Hallertau for your flavor addition instead). Adjust your OG up to 12 Plato/1.048. I wouldn't add any significant amounts of wheat malt and just a handful of Carapils for maximum authenticity.

That said, I have spiced up a Koelsch with some leftover amber DME before (which has some Crystal malt and Carapils in it), and it tasted pretty good.

I agree with AX for the most part. Eliminate the crystal (Kolsch should be fairly dry) and drop or cut back on the late hop addition. While I use a touch of carapils in an all-grain Kolsch I don't think you need to worry about it in an extract beer. Perhaps cutting it back to 1/4 would be good. As for wheat, it is strictly an optional not a required ingredient in a Kolsch. Overall I think you're off to a good start. :mug:

I just brewed a Kolsch this past weekend and used,
1oz Hallertau at 60 min
.25oz Saaz at 15 and 5 min

I've used this Hop schedule many times and it has come out great.

Everything above is worth remembering. great advice.

My Kolsch uses .75 Hallertau and .50 Saaz. saving the saaz for 15 minutes and 5 minute aroma boils.
My favorite yeast for this style was the Wyeast Kolsch II yeast - it was a VSS from last year. The standard Wyeast Kolsch yeast is incredible.

I really hope the Kolsch II comes out again this year... that yeast really made the beer special. :mug:

Thanks for all the feedback - it's much appreciated. Any other feedback or advice is welcome before next Saturday the 28th, which is when I plan on brewing this beer. I will let you know how it goes and how it tastes after 6 weeks or so.

:mug:

Back