First Batch Primary Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
So, I'm amped.

Went though all day, and rock out two batches sitting in my fermentation buckets now.

One Oatmeal Stout and one Fat Tire clone.

Psyched to see where these go- I think I did a pretty good job all things considered... followed timing and was as sanitary as possible.

Never seemed to even come in contact with a potential boilover. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing... I was using a VERY large pot with alot of headroom, but I never even watched it rise up enough to be concerned. Possibly my on and off stirring and 50/50 late LME additions kept this to a min. Not quite sure.

Also... Wort Chiller.

Thats all I have to say. If there was any moment of hesitation on my sanitation efforts... it would be the cool-down. Ice bath, reupping the ice and water, whisking, boiling the whisk, rewhisking again to circulate... it was alot of back and forth... if contamination was to occur, this was definitely the time and place.

Otherwise, I think im in for some tasty brews, I hope.

I'm not sure on when I want to take them out of primary... 7 days after bubbles stop right to bottles, or possibly secondary fermentation... not sure yet.

Regardless- wort chiller is definitely a necessity.

I'd just wait a couple weeks. I do the ice bath with zero problems and unless you really live in a fungus infested kitchen or garage you are fine..

People put a lot of fear into contamination but if you just clean things you are OK. It's important but nothing to get REAL REAL anal about. I have heard that season pros actually have more of a problem because they start to let their guard down and get lax because they never get contaminated.

Thanks Grinder, that seems to be the consensus... be clean, but don't get psycho about it.

No fungus kitchen here, so all should be well.

Still waiting for first signs of fermentation from the airlock...

I'm somewhat new as well, but I have brewed two batches already. One is done, bottled and i've been drinking it, the other is a X-mas brew that's currently in a secondary.

Some things (as a newbie brewer) that i've noticed.....

Despite the instructions saying to ferment for 7 days then bottle, I'd strongly recommend either transfering to a secondary for an additional 2 weeks, or leaving it in the primer for another week or two.

My first batch tastes great. I made a brown ale. The "problem" that I noticed is that my first batch has some sediment in the bottles, and when you drink it you'll want to pour it into a glass, and not pour it all out (as the sediment settles to the bottom). By using a secondary, or keeping it in the primer for an additional 2 weeks, the sediment that's still suspended will have time to drop and settle at the bottom.

I can see the difference between my two batches since going to the secondary, and the second batch isn't ready to leave the secondary yet.

Hope the helps! Welcome to the boards

Yea, definitely helps Sampten.

I noticed my second batch had a significantly more floaties in it than the first... maybe cause the first was a uber-dark stout... but regardless... I was concerned how to off this as I don't want to deal with it in the bottle.

This confirms my feelings... perhaps secondary is necessary- another trip to the LHBS it would seem. Carboys are in order.

Yeah, I had to do that :)

2 weeks after buying all the stuff to get started, I was back at the LHBS picking up a 5g glass carboy!

My X-mas brew is looking good in the secondary right now.

Tonight I had some co-workers over to hang out. I pulled out the Brown Ale (which I've been talking about for close to 6 weeks now) and had them try it. Well....I'm almost out of it now. They LOVED IT!

Humm- Oatmeal stout was put into primary about 4 hours before the Fat Tire clones- already seeing signs of fermentation on the fat tire, none on the stout.

Humm.

Liquid yeast in the Stout, Dry in the Fat Tire... interesting.

Billy, when you buy a carboy get the better bottle, you won't be sorry, and you won't ever need to worry about it breaking.

I just use the typical glass carboys right now. The better bottle looks interesting, and I'm contemplating doing either a wine, or meade in Jan/Feb, and maybe I'll buy one of them when I go to make them.

Humm- Oatmeal stout was put into primary about 4 hours before the Fat Tire clones- already seeing signs of fermentation on the fat tire, none on the stout.

Humm.

Liquid yeast in the Stout, Dry in the Fat Tire... interesting.

Fermentation takes up to 24 hours to start. Also depending on the yeast used (because i'm going to assume that the yeast is different for both beers), it may take longer to start.

Fermentation in full effect on both batches! Victory!

Yea, I'm a little confused by the design concept of the "Better Bottle" that isn't the completely sealed one- the one with the valve confuses me a bit... I'd like to discuss it with someone who has one a bit. Does the bottom seal get like... capped then you can put the valve on or... how does it work? Maybe I should just read their website a little more... that could help.

Back