Mold??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thdrduck

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just started brewing again (I'm an extract brewer) and invested in a korny keg system because I now have a spare frig. Thought I would go cheap on the first batch and purchased a kit for Summer Wheat (never used a kit before) that was on sale. My fermentation has slowed down and I have noticed white specks in the neck of the carboy and also in the crud left on the top of the jug. Have never had this happen before. I always used bleach in the past to sanitize but was told not to use it on stainless so got a one part cleaner sanitizer along with my kit. Could these specks be mold? Do I go ahead and keg it or just dump and cry? Glad it was a cheap kit and not the Imperial IPA I planned on making next. What do you guys think?

It's probably yeast. Can you take a picture?

Use StarSan or Iodophor/Io-Star for sanitizing. Bleach is cheaper, but much less user-friendly and both increases the risk for off-flavors (chlorophenols) and infections (since it needs to be rinsed).

There they are the white little devils.

mold1.jpg

Back