We poured our beer from fermenter to bottling bucket.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthonytgm

Reaction score
My brother in law and I are new to this. We just Brewer our first beer and its an IPA. Now when it came to moving the beer from fermenter to bottling bucket I had mentioned we needed to siphon it off from fermenter to bottling bucket. Well he poured from fermenter directly into the bottling bucket. It bubbled up. I felt pretty bad about it. Not gonna lie. I quickly mixing the priming sugar with the beer the foam too quickly went away. At this point there was no turning back. We bottled and capped.

I sat down right now and read how this can be bad.

Any advice?? Cold storage? Or just leave it in the beer gods hands?

Nothing to be done now.

This is an excellent way to oxygenate your beer as you're no doubt well aware.

No worries

Live and learn.

Next batch you can omit this error.

Welcome to the forum :mug:

Well, it's not a GOOD thing, that's for sure.

Keep it around 70F for 2-3 weeks, and then after that keep it as cold as you possibly can. Oxidative reactions don't happen overnight, and while there's no going back now, storing the beer near freezing will slow it.

You've learned your lesson. Hopefully you'll luck out and the damage won't be too bad, but it's hard to say.

Thanks people, it's extremely deflating. The waiting game is hard hate that we potentially ruined the beer. Everything else looked and smelled amazing

The sooner you drink this beer, the better. Even though it's not normally recommended, I would try a bottle after a week of conditioning - then fairly often until it's carbed up. Be sure to chill your test bottle at least a day before drinking it. As soon as it's carbed, drink the batch quickly.

I too would check for carbonation early, as soon as it is enough put them all into the refrigerator and drink them quickly.

Just in case you have a cardboard ale on your hands, get a new batch started ASAP. And don't pour that one into your bottling bucket!

Poor form, for sure.

BUT, you have active yeast on your side. They'll scavenge up available oxygen and will help with potential oxidized beer characteristics. I wouldn't expect this batch to be terrible, just know that it would have likely been better using the siphon method of transferring.

It's funny I read John palmers book and I knew this was wrong but it happens so quickly I was like aww ****. Once it was done I couldn't dwell just had to finish. Thanks for the replies. I do appreciate it.

There will be more batches. Every time I try something new or think about doing something a little off kilter, I get nervous that it's going to screw it up. Then I remember I'll brew again and even if this batch turns out bad, I can learn from it and know not to do it again.

I too would check for carbonation early, as soon as it is enough put them all into the refrigerator and drink them quickly.

Just in case you have a cardboard ale on your hands, get a new batch started ASAP. And don't pour that one into your bottling bucket!

Just curious how do I check for carbonation? Probably a super dumb question

It's your first batch, no dumb questions. Simple answer though, after a couple weeks you open a bottle every few days and see if it's carbonated to your liking. Your looking for that characteristic crack when you open the beer, and a nice head when you pour it to a glass, the same carbonation characteristics you'd expect in a commercial beer.

Not to sound snooty but I should clarify that you should try to pour the beer properly. I didn't read this but it'll probably get you there: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/03/17/how-to-properly-pour-beer/

It's your first batch, no dumb questions. Simple answer though, after a couple weeks you open a bottle every few days and see if it's carbonated to your liking. Your looking for that characteristic crack when you open the beer, and a nice head when you pour it to a glass, the same carbonation characteristics you'd expect in a commercial beer.

Not to sound snooty but I should clarify that you should try to pour the beer properly. I didn't read this but it'll probably get you there: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/03/17/how-to-properly-pour-beer/

Lol thanks I know how to pour the beer. Plenty of practice. 😁

Update. The beer is finished and it actually taste pretty damn good. It's not ruined which we were expecting. Thanks for the replies. We just brewed two more batches last night

Back