Compensate for low mash temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

declanhalpin

Reaction score
Hi all, I did an impromptu IIPA last weekend and the mash was around 150. I am learning beersmith (got it for Xmas) and I think I need to tweak my tun temp.... Anyway, I am afraid this will be too dry. Do you think I can do a small mash at 160, boil for a bit and add to the fermenter to give it a little sweetness?

Hi all, I did an impromptu IIPA last weekend and the mash was around 150. I am learning beersmith (got it for Xmas) and I think I need to tweak my tun temp.... Anyway, I am afraid this will be too dry. Do you think I can do a small mash at 160, boil for a bit and add to the fermenter to give it a little sweetness?

A mash temp of 150 is about perfect for an IIPA. I think it would be almost impossible for it to be too dry.

If it is, you could try lactose or maltodextrine at bottling. But I doubt you will need it.

Back