So is there a limit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle23

Reaction score
Is there a limit to how many time you can use gelitan. i mean i understand that if it will lose effectiveness but is there a point where it affects the beer negatively. i was going to use it in a gluten free beer and need to clear it up. Going to put in the secondary, rack and use it in the tri.
thanks guys

I assume you can use it as directed as many times you want if your going to keg it. But the gelatin will most likely drop all of the yeast out, rendering natural bottle carbing useless.

good point about the yeast since this wont be kegged. just need to clear this beer.

Gelatin drops most of the yeast, not all. There is still plenty of yeast left to bottle condition.

According to an article in BYO, gelatin has little, if any effect on suspended yeast.

If you're concerned about lack of yeast, you could rehydrate 3-4 grams of dry yeast and add it to your bottling bucket along the with priming sugar, just as a safety measure. I've used cheap grocery store yeast for this with no ill effects that I could detect.

Is grocery store yeast gluten free? (presumably this means Fleischmann's bread yeast)

In my experience, cold crashing for a few days and then gelatin properly used and given a few more days does a great job of clearing beer.

Anyway, why is it so important to clear this beer? It's purely cosmetic. The taste is the same either way.

yeah its just for looks. i know it will taste the same just trying to make it look good as well.

The beer will get pretty clear just sitting on the yeast cake long enough after FG is reached. My 1st batch did it in 12 days. This one took 3 weeks. But it does happen naturally. Then 3 weeks in the bottle for the 1st one mentioned. Crystal clear. Patience,young skywalker...

It's been well established here that gelatin will not affect the beer's ability to carbonate in bottles. There's still going to be millions of yeast cells per bottle in your crystal clear beer.

Ok so now that the yeast will not fall out is established what about it effectivness in clearing other things out that are clouding it up and how many times can i used before it is no longer being useful and just adding water to my beer. I understand that patience is a necessaity in this whole thing and im just more curious than anything

Back