Selling my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qdog

Reaction score
I have been making beer for a little now and my friends own a local bar. I always wanted to try and get my beer out to the public and this woudl be a good avenue to do so. I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to find out the legalities behind selling my beer through a bar. Even if I bottle up two cases and give it to the bar for free, how should I go about doing so.

thanks for the help. :mug:

it's probably not gonna work out for ya, I'll just say that up front. To sell your beer, or even give to a bar for them to sell, you have to spend thousands of dollars in permits, and you have to make a minimum amount each year for this permit (we're talking in the thousands of gallons range, typically). I'm not sure where "York" is, but that's how it is in Virginia. You probably need to look up the local/state laws that have jurisdiction.

York, PA. Pennsylvania's distributor network isn't the most "modern"...

Your friends that own the bar should have some idea, since they've dealt with the licensing, etc.

I'd start with the ATF, Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, York City, etc.

Good luck, you're going to need it. :drunk:

Are you in the UK? It is very difficult in the US, if you run a search this has been discussed several times... each time ending in a general consensus that it most implausible for anything remotely close to a home scale. If you are interested in going larger, to a small micro size or starting a brewpub it is possible. However, there are a lot of fees and paperwork that must be done.

I think the general conclusion has been, if you can find a restaurant that is willing to foot the cost and get a brewpub license that would work. This may be difficult to find.

I'll just pile on with more negativity. :D

At some point I think that most homebrewers at least think about the possibility of doing this but the reality of it is that it's just not feasible. You have to obtain a license from your state to produce, distribute and/or sell beer. In most states you will be required to have a place of business that is not your home and since you are making product for human consumption you will be subject to multiple heath codes and inspections.

You'd spend hundreds, even thousands, of dollars up front to make all of that happen. Then you would have to brew almost constantly (even if you're doing 10 gallon batches) to keep up with even moderate demand.

I admire your aspirations, but in most cases it's just not realistic.

The answer to most of these threads has been "look for a contract brewer". If somebody else is doing the brew, such as a licensed brew pub, you can produce the beer with them on their equipment, and the brew pub or whomever is buying it can contract directly with them, legally keeping you out of the loop. You can then just work as a contractor for your time.

thanks guys.....this is good info. I work during the week as an Engineer and I slowly just want to gather as much info as possible. This isnt something that I need or want to rush into.
The only reason I ask is that alot of people come over and try my stuff and really like it....Then I get the usual..."You should sell this" response. And coming from the typical Bud Light Miller Lite drinkers I say that is a success in my books. :)

thanks again.

This is all great news for me not being able to sell beer easily. One of the last hobbies I really loved I turned it into a business. Actually an LLC and worked it for awhile...

I don't do that hobby anymore.

it can happen - I know home brewers that have started their own place. Grumpy Troll in Wisconsin is one of them.

You may be able to discreetly barter your brew with another entrepreneur who produces something of real value (not mortgage - backed securities). A local beekeeper, for example may be willing to trade some honey or maybe someone with firewood. You are both required to report it as income and pay tax on your receivables. Just another incentive from lawmakers to produce less, I suppose.

You may be able to discreetly barter your brew with another entrepreneur who produces something of real value (not mortgage - backed securities). A local beekeeper, for example may be willing to trade some honey or maybe someone with firewood. You are both required to report it as income and pay tax on your receivables. Just another incentive from lawmakers to produce less, I suppose.

Still doesn't get around ATF and FDA laws, unfortunately.

In N.C. you have to have a Brewery License and an Inspection of the Brewery ~ minimum capacities etc. etc. etc.... I would cost too much to just sell a few cases.... Get $200K and start your own nanobrewpubthingy...

Also(sorry more negativity) I don't know what your brew rig looks like,but if your going to be selling it than you need a VERY consistent product.I realize thats obvious,But Unless you put aLOT of $$ into your system that can be very hard to do.Good Luck.If you do make it I'm sure there are many on here that will support your brewery.

selling our homebrew sounds like the best job ever. while i'm sure it's not impossible, it is definitely improbable/a huge pain in the butt to be successful at it. i just finished watching the movie 'beer wars' and highly recommend everyone watch it, especially if you really truly desire to open a brewery.:ban:

The way Drew Carey got around the laws was to have a party with a cover charge. $10 cover and a complimentary 6 pack at the door.

I know in theory it would be great to sell what I'm making for a little side income but everything I read is like above, its very hard. If it were easy, we'd all be doing it.

Another avenue for you is to look around craft brewers and see which ones got their start in home brewing. They at the very least can give you their path. I think one in Green Bay (Stillmank) started as a homebrewer in college and he's now opened a brewery up here. Just another option for info.

My first stop would be to get a lawyer to council you through the possibilities.

zombie_bump.jpg

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

I think it's time for you to update your signature, there. Unless you're a time-traveler and you temporarily stopped in to see what 2015 is like.

Click on "My Account" and then "Edit Signature."

That's pretty funny, after all the negative stuff on here. Obviously it is possible to do, otherwise there wouldn't be new businesses opening all the time. For some reason, there is always a lot of negativity about startups. Sure, it's a hassle and many of them fail. But some work out.

I don't think there is too much negativity about startups. I think most of the "negative" comments I see have to do with trying to sell your homebrew. Dozens upon dozens of threads about "Everyone like my brew and tells me I should Sell it"!

Many HBT members here have gone on to the pro ranks and it looks like that is exactly what the OP did here.

:mug:

it's probably not gonna work out for ya, I'll just say that up front. To sell your beer, or even give to a bar for them to sell, you have to spend thousands of dollars in permits, and you have to make a minimum amount each year for this permit (we're talking in the thousands of gallons range, typically). I'm not sure where "York" is, but that's how it is in Virginia. You probably need to look up the local/state laws that have jurisdiction.

I encountered a bar in Astoria Oregon where the owner was brewing his own beers using brew buckets........His brews were on tap, so apparently it IS possible to do this. I live 900 miles away, and only visited the place once. The owner was brewing when I walked in. I just went on Google Maps and found the place. It's called Hondo's brew pub and tap room. he also sells brewing supplies........ I assumed that he was brewing for the brew pub from what I saw in the back room. The product was good, but I only had one beer as I was on the road. (503) 325-2234 (listed phone number for Hondo's). I may be completely wrong.... He may have been doing a test brew or something, but I didn't see any of the big stainless steel stuff usually seen in a microbrewery. You might call the guy and ask........... He was NOT the only nano operation I saw on that trip....

H.W.

I think it's time for you to update your signature, there. Unless you're a time-traveler and you temporarily stopped in to see what 2015 is like.

Click on "My Account" and then "Edit Signature."

Ha! Good call, I'll get on it.

Latest posts

Back