Advice on a wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waynep005

Reaction score
I am tryng to come up with a recipe for a wheat beer. How does this sound ofr a some what hoppy American wheat. Would love any ideas.

5 lb 2 row
5 lb wheat malt
.5 lb rice hulls
.75 oz Centenial 60 min
.5 oz cascade 5 min
.5 oz cascade 0 min
Whitelabs2565 Kolsch yeast

Mash 60 min at 152
Batch sparge

American wheats don't usually use Kolsch yeast. If you have a plan go with it. But if you want to do something fruity you'll need a german or belgian strain. Otherwise you could go with something clean like wlp001.
check this out though: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/Styles-Ale.pdf

Sorry DD, but I've got to disagree with you across the board. German or Belgian yeast strains are a mistake.

I've got a am. wheat with that exact yeast (Wy 2565) right now. In fact it's almost the same recipe, with a bit of dry hopping (cascades). Cold crashing and kegging this wkend. Centennial and cascade with give you a great citrus flavor, probably just what you are looking for. That yeast gets fruitier over a period of a month or two. I keep re-using it.

+1 for 2565 in wheat beer. It's awesome. I fermented mine on the higher end, 65-67 and it has a subtle light-fruitiness, like a white wine type of fruit. Very nice.

I'd skip the knockout addition and dry hop with it. And I'd move the Centennial addition to 30mins. But I prefer low bitterness and huge hop flavor/aroma in this style.

And you may not need the rice hulls; I never have with batch sparging. You could probably mash a little higher too for a bit more body...straight wheat & 2-row will finish very dry.

Fantastic! I've found my washed yeast starts getting fruity after a while too. I've been washing and reusing 1028 and that's what happened. But I think it's just under pitched.

I stand corrected. I've used the wyeast 2565 and wasn't impressed with the profile but it was a weird amber thing I made about 5 years ago and I've never tried it again.
note to self: play with wyeast 2565 over the summer...

Regardless, the chart from whitelabs is informative.

Thanks for the avice. I think I will increase the mash temp a little and drop the rice hulls. I am going to keep the Hops as is I may change it in the future.

Thanks for the avice. I think I will increase the mash temp a little and drop the rice hulls. I am going to keep the Hops as is I may change it in the future.

If you already have rice hulls, just use them. In the future though, you might want to test your lautering system to see if the hulls are necessary. They aren't on my system.

Back