Organic vs. chemical fertilizer for hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dispute both of your highly narrow arguments which do not hold water for "each and every" type of situation, then I'm labeled as a troll. Okay... continue to live your lives thinking that there is only one way of doing things. No sweat off my back, just don't try to convince everyone else that your way is the only way.

Plus, the primary point of organic gardening is to be friendly to the earth.

This isn't a problem with low concentration non-organic fertilizers used in controlled amounts in confined containers (which was my whole point). If you think it is, then you need to get your head checked. What you're arguing against is high concentration chemical fertilizers, and other harmful chemicals like pesticides (usually used by the acre) that can cause runoff.

My whole attempt was to allow you to understand that it's not simply a matter of Inorganic vs. Organic in every circumstance. Both can be good depending on the situation.

I dispute both of your arguments that don't hold water for "each and every" type of situation and I'm labeled as a troll. Okay... continue to live your lives thinking that there's only one way of doing things. No sweat off my back, just don't try to convince everyone else that your way is the only way.

This isn't a problem with low concentration non-organic fertilizers used in controlled amounts in confined containers (which was my whole point). If you think it is, then you need to get your head checked. What you're arguing against is high concentration chemical fertilizers (usually used by the acre) that cause runoff.

First, you seem to be touting your way as the best/only way. Second, it's not just the run off the organic gardeners want to steer clear of, so your point is invalid. They want to stick clear of the extra refining that goes along with chemical fertilizers, for one. Also, organic gardeners like to use organic methods because it's a good way to reduce, reuse, and recycle.

Go get a degree in Environmental Science and then come back to me. Until then, your points, which you are trying to stress so much, are invalid.

There is never only ONE way of doing things.

Go get a degree in Environmental Science and then come back to me. Until then, your points, which you are trying to stress so much, are invalid.

There is never only ONE way of doing things.

I never said there was only one way. Where did I say that?

EDIT: Also, it doesn't logically follow that my points are invalid simply because I don't have an environmental science degree.

Can we get a moderator to shut this down and possibly delete it, this is destroying pages of search results with needless arguing with no useful information posted....

The use of inorganic fertilizers does have an effect on the environment. Take a look at the state of Florida, they are trying to ban the use of it for your yards. At least severely limit it's use and the contents of it.

That being said, I use both inorganic and organic methods in my garden and yard. It's kinda hard to spread 100 lbs of composted cow manure on your yard and expect it to look nice!

Like it was said above both have there uses and ideal applications, and if used properly inorganic fertilizer will cause little harm to the environment.

The way I see it if you grow it at home and don't use chemical pesticides or use organic/natural methods to control pests, the fertilizer does not really matter. Nitrogen is nitrogen weather it comes in granular form or from composted cow etc manure.

Healthy soil full of microbes is the key for organic, but if you live in an area that is not blessed with rich black soil it's going to take a lot of time, effort, resources and research to get it up to par using organic amendments.

Potted plants do require a lot closer attention when it comes to watering and fertilizer applications. I can see where a weekly low dose of fertilizer would be almost required if you wanted it to come even close to competing with the same plant that was in the ground getting its nutrients from good rich organic soil.

Oh one more thing, commercial hop growers probably use inorganic/chemical fertilizers because of the size and scale of there operation. Hundreds of the same plant in one area competing for the same food is going to suck up all the nutrients in an area very fast. Hop growers don't have the luxury of plant rotation like a normal farmer does or allowing a field to grow over for a season or to to all nutrients back in the soil.

So I can see why they would use a chemical/inorganic fertilizer to amend the soil

It's best to add organic compost to your soil since they're healthier and won't harm your land as much as chemical ones. Bone meal, shredded leaves and crops are what i often used for compost. You can add some urine for nitrogen and banana for phosphorus. But please, make sure that they're all clean.

I'm all about organic living soil no matter the crop...less work, less expensive, better flavor and great for the environment...chemical ferts are trash

I'm all about organic living soil no matter the crop...less work, less expensive, better flavor and great for the environment...chemical ferts are trash

What do you mean LESS expensive and LESS work? Do you work in agriculture?

What do you mean LESS expensive and LESS work? Do you work in agriculture?
Amen...from my youth:

- Time to fill the manure spreader from the beef cattle barn and get it spread = 35 minutes/load. A 10 acre took all Saturday and part of Sunday for me and my brother, if there was enough BS to cover it. Work level...Shoveling BS all day with a pitchfork was not easy.
- Time to knife in nitrogen = 2 hours. Work level...coop showed up and we just hooked it up to the tractor.

Organic always took longer and was WAY more work. Plus the neighbors complained a lot more about the smell.

IDK how you guys grow your organic crops..but for me its easy..some compost,worm castings, top dress with some grokashi,mulch and water..only thing i ever add is compost tea..i never felt it was hard work..the compost is free, the worm castings are free...to each their own..organic all the way for me

IDK how you guys grow your organic crops..but for me its easy..some compost,worm castings, top dress with some grokashi,mulch and water..only thing i ever add is compost tea..i never felt it was hard work..the compost is free, the worm castings are free...to each their own..organic all the way for me

And pray tell, what are your dry yields from your organically grown hops?

And pray tell, what are your dry yields from your organically grown hops?

To be honest not great cause they are only 2 years old..but they are very healthy and only require little maintenance ..i like only having to water and every 2 weeks hit them with some ACCT..but like i said to each their own..if you like chemical ferts enjoy my man

Back