Would You Be Interested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nalidixic

Reaction score
Hi All,

A few days ago I posted a question to see what everyone was using to keep track of their brews. The post is at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/keeping-track-320274/.

Reading through the responses it seems that a lot of people are using either a binder or an excel spread sheet while a few are using locally installed software.

What I'd like to know is if there would be interested in an online tool that was simple but allowed you to track all the important recipes and batches?

If you're interested or not please weigh in and let me know.

Cheers!

nalidixic said:
No interest at all in a clean easy to use online brew log book?

My guess is many people who would use something like is already have a setup that works for them, either using software like Beersmith that does tracking and recipe creation, or have create their own setup that is tailored to their own tastes. After paying nothing for their own, or a one time charge for software I think a yearly subscription to do the same thing they already have may be a hard pill to swallow. Maybe make it donation basis?

Ya I think the subscription may be hard to swallow as well.

So lets look at it without any money on the table. What if it were free?

I'm hoping to get a few people that would be interested to let me know so I can bounce ideas off of them.

I have beersmith, but I personally like just using a plain old notebook for brew logs. Like my music, I prefer to have a hard copy.

I use beersmith also. Print out a copy for the brew day, make my notes, and put it in a binder.

I use beer smith but there is already a website out there called www.brewersfriend.com. I think that allows you to save recipes has worksheets and calculators available. It's in the free stage right now but looks like they will start charging

I like the idea because if I work on a recipe at work it's available on my pc at home.....

I think Beersmith looks pretty good however I think fpweeks hit the nail on the head. Why not have a platform where you can access it from anywhere (aka online)?

hopsville allows you to keep recipes, notes, etc online. Its not my favorite format, and i use beersmith for my calculations, but i do post my favorite recipes on there just in case my computer gets stolen or craps out on me.

hopsville allows you to keep recipes, notes, etc online. Its not my favorite format, and i use beersmith for my calculations, but i do post my favorite recipes on there just in case my computer gets stolen or craps out on me.

this.

I would like something to keep track of my batches and inventory.....probably more so the latter. I think the program I've got (Beer Alchemy) is supposed to to that, but I've never been able to figure out how to yield the correct results.

SouthBay and Veritas524

Is there anything about Hopsville that you think can be improved on?

ok this is funny today is the seventh brew day and i wrote stuff down
on "clean" paper and put it in a Floder (oh my)the stars must be alined .....:ban:

nalidixic said:
SouthBay and Veritas524

Is there anything about Hopsville that you think can be improved on?

Very rarely do I use it. I use beersmith 99% of the time. If you had a cloud area for bsm files that could be accessed by a mobile app that would be awesome.

Google Docs Spread Sheet works well for me. I also use google calendar to keep track of which days I brew, transfer to secondary, and keg. Its neat being able to make a timeline of your brewing activities :)

Ok. Thanks for all the great replies. I'm going to take a crack and writing an online brew log which I think everyone will like. The only person that may not like it is the wife :p She wonders how I can write software all day at work and then still come home and code even more!

Anyways if anyone wants to provide more "feature requests" I'd love to hear them. When I have something presentable I'll make another post asking for a few people to take a look.

Feel free to post suggestions or contact me via PM.

Cheers!

I just can't get into 'cloud' style storage. I want my information on my computer, with my backup being a separate hard drive. Just can't see turning over any type of data to someone else's control.

Airborneguy what if you had the best of both worlds. Online storage that made it easy to share with friends but also the ability to export to excel for your local computer? I mean worst case scenario is you store them online but print off hard copies for your own binder. What do you think?

nalidixic said:
Ok. Thanks for all the great replies. I'm going to take a crack and writing an online brew log which I think everyone will like. The only person that may not like it is the wife :p She wonders how I can write software all day at work and then still come home and code even more!

Anyways if anyone wants to provide more "feature requests" I'd love to hear them. When I have something presentable I'll make another post asking for a few people to take a look.

Feel free to post suggestions or contact me via PM.

Cheers!

Sorry for the late reply... But you are not writing code, you are improving your brew technic. LOL
Doubt my ol lady would buy that either if I were in your shoes.

fwiw, I use BS2 for recipe generation and inventory tracking, and use MS Project for tracking batches from brew day to the keezer...

Cheers!

One thing that would be kinda cool, is to have an option where people could make recipes open to the public if wanted and they could try them out and rate the recipes that they have tried.

Back