moldy?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missfebruary

Reaction score
So, somehow I have completely lost track of how long my cider has been sitting in carboys. I believe it might be somewhere around 2 months. Or maybe not quite. Anyways, I have been naglecting the bottling stage as i'm in the process of collecting (i'm being cheap and using pop bottles instead of spending the ridiculous amount they want for small plastic 500ml bottles at the home brew shop.) The carboys have been moved a couple times possibly exposing them to a bit of fresh air. Anyways. Just recently i've noticed (probably happened some time in the past week) that there what looks to be a little bit of white mold starting at the top. Just around the edges. I'm pretty sure it's mold, anyways.

Is this normal? Does this mean my entire batch has been spoiled?

:confused:

Well, does it smell off at all? Are you absolutely sure it's mold? I know that sometimes a ring of floating yeast can happen at the top, that looks like a sort of like a ring of scum, that is often candida or some other wild yeast. Sometimes it can be bad, but if it smells good, I'd say rack it into another carboy once to get it off the crud. If you're sure it's mold and the cider smells and tastes moldy, then I guess it's game over.

And I just noticed your location. It's a beautiful place if I've ever seen one.

If your cider fermented OK, I kind of doubt you have a mold problem. Taste/smell will tell you. 2 months isn't all that long to keep it in the carboy. +1 on the bottling issues--I use a lot of soda bottles myself. I can scrounge around and come up with beer bottles or regular sized wine bottles but I like to give the 375ml "splits" as gifts, and they are expensive.

Do they have these in your area? Got a bunch of these dirt-cheap and they made beautiful gift bottles.

Ahhh!! Thank you!! I almost dumped all my cider out!! It definitely was not mold. I gave it a sniff, and a taste, and It was just fine. A little sourish, but I didn't put much sugar in, just enough to feed the yeast. How long should I leave it in the second carboy before I bottle??

I'll have to keep an eye out for some decent bottles.
And yes, Yan, BC is a very beautiful place to live, especially in my little farm town. Perfect for brewing cider, and wine.. sooo much fresh fruit!!

Latest posts

Back