1st time for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDWHAHB

Reaction score
Went to "Cider Days" here in Lakewood, CO. We took our apples (~5 gal), big crabapples from my parents tree (~3 gal), and found an apple tree on the way that we picked (~3gal). The Rotatry Club has presses that you can use for a donation. Pretty sweet. We got about 3.5 gallons of juice. We are letting a lot naturally ferment, I threw campden in a couple, and we are drinking some fresh. The campden will get Montrachet tomorrow. The fresh tastes amazing.

Is a cider a Lambic, or only beer? What is a spontaneous fermentatied cider called?

Or I guess just plain old cider. That's how it's been made for ages...

We have apple trees dropping fruit all over the neighborhood but I have no press. I'd like to go to this event next year. Are the presses powered or hand-crank? Do they have fresh cider for sale if you don't bring your own apples?

I've been thinking about crabapples in the mix this fall; I'm excited to hear how this turns out.

We have apple trees dropping fruit all over the neighborhood but I have no press. I'd like to go to this event next year. Are the presses powered or hand-crank? Do they have fresh cider for sale if you don't bring your own apples?

I've been thinking about crabapples in the mix this fall; I'm excited to hear how this turns out.

Hand crank. Most everbody was buying apples there to press. I brought my own. There are people selling cider (packaged in official looking jugs). Not really a place where you would bring a carboy and buy 5 gal of juice.

Jeff

Back