Manifold for rectangle cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarcrarc

Air Garcia
Reaction score
I just completed creating my first manifold for the rectangle cooler I use when mashing. Having followed the directions from Palmer's How To Brew book (1" from the walls and 2" spacing between tubes) I was able to get a total of six pipes running across. Surprisingly, it took very little time or money! I set up the run off tubing in a fashion that appears to me would work out fine but wanted to know if anyone had thoughts about the overall set-up. Any potential problematic issues with this set-up?

Also, I still have to cut the slots. Any ideas on how far through the pipe I should cut down? What distance between slots is suggested? What size blade is best when cutting?

I've attempted to add 2 picture attachments to this post

Any comments would be appreciated.

Pumpkin Patch 2012 097 (800x600).jpg

Pumpkin Patch 2012 098 (800x600).jpg

Should work fine. Overkill for batch sparging, but good for fly.

Any reason you ran the drain on the side not the front?

You might add a few capped T's on the sides to keep it from sliding around. Or some other method.

Mine are cut with a hacksaw, so about 1/16th inch or so, with 1/4 inch spacing. Cut 1/4 to 1/2 way. I've seen people drill holes too. Slots facing down. Don't solder it together.

I'm sure this will work great. If you are looking for comments on how the exit tubing is set up, I see why you did it but I thought the idea was to establish the shortest route for wort to exit from all points in the mash tun. This would seem to favor one side. But the sheer number of tubes will work in your favor. Try it and let us know how it works!

Great idea on finding a method to keep this from sliding around. Thanks!

The reason I ran the drain over on the side was because this way the wort would travel less vertically than if I ran it right in the front. Ultimately, it may not make any difference. Also, at first I had the drain running off of one of the middle pipes but it looked like it would get banged around a bit more placed there.

Back