BeerSmith Help --- Dead space in mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage63

Reaction score
I have been using version 1.4 of BeerSmith for a little while and since moving from a 10 gal rubbermaid cooler with false bottom to 15 gallon stainess with false bottom, I cannot figure out how to get BeerSmith to account for the "dead space" field when creating an Equipment Profile.

I am using the mash tun with a march 809 pump and recirculating through a heat exchanger to maintain temperature.

There is approximately 2.20 gallons under the false bottom and even though I plug that into the field in BeerSmith, it will not incorporate that into the final water numbers. I do not use a dip tube (on order) and the drain sits about 1" from the bottom, just under the level of the false bottom.

After brewing yesterday, I was well short on the amount of water I added to the mash tun; therefore, had the thickest mash I had ever seen. Resulting in terrible conversion.

It's no big deal to manually add that, but it also would be nice to be able to use the program for what it's supposed to do.

Thanks in advance to all the fellow home brewers out there. :mug:

Back