one gallon primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VirginiaDrew

Reaction score
I understand where to get a one gallon secondary (one gallon glass jug, wish they had 1.25 gallon jugs) but where do you get a primary. Are yall just using those glass gallon jugs as primary. Also how do you cover the primary "loosely", just use a sanitized towel?

Yes, we use the same type of glass jugs for 'primary'. Or you can use something else like a plastic juge that has more space, up to you. I usually do not 'secondary,' I just let the one gallon glass jug sit for 4 weeks. Here is a one gallon stein beer in the primary; I only had it in the bigger fermentor because I fermented it with stone, and they would not fit through the narrow mouth of the jug.
IMG00103-20110416-0047.jpg

Then again, to get rid of the head space I moved it to a smaller 1 gallon glass jug to age in.
IMG00123-20110426-2303.jpg

I have alot of the glass 1 gallon jugs to make test batches in, and the plastic one was just for that one beer.

Back