Hot/cold break question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richardwhittaker

Reaction score
Hi, I just finished up my keggele and did my first full boil for an extract and specialty grain brew The whole thing went well. However my question is about the hot/cold break matirial. What will it do to your brew if you do nto filter/whirlpool it out of the wort?

I am asking because after I cooled I dumped every thing into the primary. I was reading about BIAB today and kept running int the term whirlpool when I looked it up I had one of these beginner whoops moments... I had never even considered the break material at all as it is not something you have to worry about with the wort in a bag kits I have been doing.

So does this mean my beer will not clear without help? OR will it impart some funky flavors to it? Should I rack it to secondary tonight? O should I just relax..

Richard

Should be fine, just leave it in primary for 3 weeks+. The yeast will actually use it for nutrients and they'll clean up any off flavors if left the required 3+ weeks. What style of beer?

It is an American Amber Ale

2 kg crystal malt (30 min at 150)
10 lb pale LME
2 kg dark DME
1 lb brown sugar
1.5 oz cascade (60 min)
1 oz Kent goldings (15 min)
2 packets of coopers

6 gallon boil 60 min
topped to 10 gallons at end of boil
Cooled in cornys in water bath (bathtub)
Pitched in 2 5 gallon batches.

Richard

Agreed. It should be just fine, and will most likely clear out well for you. If not, you could always crash cool it if you have the ability to do so.

I can cold crash like nobody's business :rockin:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/beer-slushies-145209/

I have a seriously over powered compressor for my keg cooler. When I was testing it out I was wondering why it got almost to freezing and then the numbers started going up. It wasn't till It got to 13 degrees C that I realized it was -13 :)

I just have to turn the AC unit on for 20 min or so and it is well below freezing in there.

Richard

PS this is my cooler https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keg-cooler-fermentation-chamber-144899/

Back