Fermentation input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taygel

Reaction score
Okay guys this is my first lager. I've kind of stuck to ale for three years and decided to take a stab at a lager. Well sort of a lager. Its pretty much a Pale ale with San Francisco Yeast. Here are the specs; 8lbs of 2 row, 2 lbs of Cyrstal 20 L, 1 lb of flake Maize ( i'm from Iowa couldn't stop myself), 1lb of Honey Malt. I used Amarillo for bittering and Chinook for flavor. IBUS are 41. So this is how it went i cooled it down too 65 F, added O2 then pitched the yeast. My fridge only cools with the freezer part, the fridge part broke and i was able to keep the temp in between 58 and 62. Its been 7 days and the gravity dropped from 1.050 to 1.030
Onlly its starting to slow and i still have a way to go. Am i in the ball park? Does Lager yeast take longer to finish. Anyways some great stories telling me how lagers take longer would be great.

Cheers,
Nick

1. That yeast does take a little longer than ale yeasts.

2. With 2 lbs of crystal in there (that's alot!), you're going to finish with a high FG, so you're probably closer than you think.

Lager yeast can take 3-4 weeks. I did a Lager/Ale comparison last winter & the ale was in the keg and carbed before the lager finished fermenting.

Back