Belgian Blonde / First AG / How's it look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarberSurgeon

Reaction score
While I'm still figuring out my efficiency, I thought I'd concentrate on doing some lighter styles that wouldn't be overly adversely affected by a low conversion. I've also been wanting to mess around with some adjuncts, so I thought the Belgian Blonde would be a great starting place to play around.

Here's my recipe (work in progress):

Batch size: 2 Gallons

4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.40 lb Caravienne Malt
0.20 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 23.0 IBU
0.05 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.25 lb Honey
0.20 lb Candi Sugar, Clear
1 Pkgs Safbrew T-58 Ale Yeast (Fermentis)

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.068 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Color: 6.5 SRM
Bitterness: 23.4 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.3 %

I plan to BIAB at 154.0 for 60 min. I also chose American 2-row, because it is cheap, and since I mostly plan on missing my target efficiency, I don't want to spend more than is necessary.

How's it look? Any glaring amateur problems (like the Caravienne)?

I'm sure you meant 0.5oz Fuggles, not 0.05oz.

With the candi and the honey at those levels, and just 2-row and some Caravienna for malt, that might come out pretty thin and shallow as far as malt profile. I'm no expert, just going off of other recipes I've seen.

I'd say it looks pretty good. The higher mash temp should give it some body even with the adjuncts. Belgians should be very simple for the most part as far as grain bill goes. I use 2-row for mine too and it comes out great.

My only question is why fuggles??

I'm sure you meant 0.5oz Fuggles, not 0.05oz.

Haha, no, I did indeed mean .05, but I can understand your confusion since you are from Oregon and likely aren't familiar with IBUs under 90. :mug:

Also, I chose the Fuggles because I've got some lying around and they are low alpha. Now that I think of it though, the Chinook I've got might do a little better.

You've gotta use Pilsner malt to get anything near like you'd expect from a commercial example. American two row will give a very bland Belgian Blonde, the Pilsner character in a BB is like 95% of the malt character. Yes Pilsner vs 2row will cost a little more, for this recipe, roughly $2 more, but it will be worth it, I think so at least.

US 2 Row is good for American style beers because a lot of the character comes from the hops. A Belgian Blonde derives most of its flavor from yeast byproducts and malt. You've be missing a major component of the flavor you're seeking if you don't use a Pilsner malt.

Your recipe looks like a solid recipe overall, just not one I would use to make something I was gong to call a Belgian Blonde :)

If it were me I would use only a malty Pilsner + sugar in any Belgian Blonde.

95% Weyermann Bo-Pils (or Dingemans Pils)
5% Sucrose
Saaz @ 60 for 20-25 IBUs
Maybe a minor flavor addition of Saaz if you're in the mood no more than 0.25 ounces after 20 minutes.

Your recipe looks like a solid recipe overall, just not one I would use to make something I was gong to call a Belgian Blonde :

Good point. I usually like to respect style guidelines. Maybe I'll just call this a Belgian Blonde "inspired" ale.

Back