Stainless Perf False Bottom for Rectangular Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfeller

Reaction score
I saw pics of Yuri Rage's perforated stainless false bottom. This looks like an ideal set up for a cooler mash tun. I was considering doing the same but was wondering if anyone else was doing this and if so, what is the ideal size of perforated holes? 3/32 or 1/16 holes? I tried to send Yuri a message but haven't had a response yet.
BTW... I already have a CPVC Manifold, But I am wanting to try this Stainless perf.

Most of the commercial false bottoms I've seen are 18 gauge and have 3/32" holes on a 5/32" stagger.

I think Yuri used 22 guage or .03 stainless perf. Thin enough to cut with tin snips.
I was wondering if he had any issues with it being so thin.

see here...
This is my false bottom:

4688-mashtun.JPG

I made it out of perforated stainless from www.onlinemetals.com (3/32" holes, around .030" thick). Tin snips and a bench mounted sander made it pretty easy to shape. A few sheet metal screws provide standoff from the bottom of the cooler (less than 1").

I've seen well over 80% efficiency.

Back