how to store hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david83

Reaction score
i bought hops in a recent ingrediant order and prob wont brew for a while whats the best way to store hops till i use them?

Vacuum packed and stored in the freezer.

I use a Black and Decker Food Saver knock off and I'm super happy with it.

i bought hops in a recent ingrediant order and prob wont brew for a while whats the best way to store hops till i use them?

just throw them in your freezer. They'll be fine if you brew in the next couple weeks/months.
You could spend the cash to get a vacuum sealer, but it's not NEEDED. There's a lot of people on forums (i may get crucified for saying this) that will tell you you NEED a bunch of stuff to make good/great beer. The reality is, beer making isn't an exact science.
Will a vacuum sealer be better? of course.
Will it be ok to put them in a ziplock bag (or even back in the bag you got them in) and toss 'em in your freezer? of course.

Just my humble opinion.

I've always bought my hops at the same time I bought my grains.
It's always seemed like a really inefficient way to get hops but the conventional dope on hops is that they don't store well.
Oxygen screws with the acids and time is their enemy.
Freezing is supposed to be a good way to go but there is the space issue.
Leaf hops ( my preferred format) is bulky.
I do rather like those sticky plug hops that MidWest has. Scored a bunch of them last time I brewed.
The Szazz were devine.

How long do hops keep in a -5 Degree Freezer, in a vacuum bag?

yeah it was only going to store them for less then a month so i guess ill just throw them in the freezer.thanks for the responses guys

Latest posts

Back