May have killed my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rankrefugee88

Reaction score
I mixed my yeast in boiled water (I don't think I let it cool long enough after boil) and threw it in my Oktoberfest batch which was at around 90 degrees. 2 days later and I'm not seeing signs of fermentation from the airlock.

I used a packet of dry yeast. Should I pitch another packet? Or is this batch kaput?

yeast dies at temperature above 120F. It will also get stressed out and not perform as well if it's pitched at too high of a temperature. I usually pitch at about 85F which is usually above the recommended temp, simply because my system cools my wort slowly.

Did you mix it in boiled, or boiling, water? If it was still boiling when you added the yeast, then yes, you most likely killed the yeast and should repitch. If it was cooled, then it will depend on how cool it was.

The 90°F temperature of the wort would not have been hot enough to kill the yeast. Most yeast packets recommend rehydrating around 90-100°F. But it's certainly not an ideal pitching temperature. I'd try to get your wort down to your intended fermentation temperature before you pitch, because once yeast start working, it's very hard to cool the wort down.

In any event, as many on this board will tell you, airlock activity is not an accurate indicator of whether you've got fermentation. Take a gravity reading, and if there's no change from your OG, you probably did kill your yeast with that hot water rehydration, and should repitch.

I mixed it in boiled water, but not too long after the boil. I'm going to take a hydrometer reading now, I'll post the results.

I mixed it in boiled water, but not too long after the boil. I'm going to take a hydrometer reading now, I'll post the results.

Keep your thermometer by your side whenever you make beer. Then you'll KNOW how hot things are....

it's like a hammer for a house builder. You need it.

My gravity read 1.041 just now, while the OG was 1.033. I'm thinking I may have taken the OG reading when my wort was too warm, and I may have to re-pitch.

Keep your thermometer by your side whenever you make beer. Then you'll KNOW how hot things are....

it's like a hammer for a house builder. You need it.

I have a couple of those stick on Fermometers on my bucket and carboy. Is it necessary to have another thermometer?

I have a couple of those stick on Fermometers on my bucket and carboy. Is it necessary to have another thermometer?
Absolutely. Those stick-ons are great for measuring the temperature of the fermenting wort, but you will need a thermometer for all sorts of other things in brewing: rehydrating yeast (as you now know), steeping grains, cooling wort, and maybe someday your own mashes ... so you will want to get at least one thermometer. I have a couple of simple probe thermometers, and I keep one on hand at all times when I'm doing anything relating to brewing.

The reason your OG was so low when you measured is probably due to mixing. It's very hard to mix extract and water all the way, and so it's very common for extract brew samples to give inaccurate OG readings. But that's not necessarily something to worry about. With extract brews, you should hit the recipe OG right on if you followed the instructions.

What was the recipe OG supposed to be? If higher than 1.041, then the fact that you're at 1.041 now means you probably do have some fermentation going, regardless of the lack of activity in your airlock.

But yes, if the recipe OG was 1.041 and you're still there, your yeast are probably dead in the water (so to speak :D). If you can wait a day or so and take another gravity reading, do so. And if the gravity hasn't moved by then, you will need to repitch.

Absolutely. Those stick-ons are great for measuring the temperature of the fermenting wort, but you will need a thermometer for all sorts of other things in brewing: rehydrating yeast (as you now know), steeping grains, cooling wort, and maybe someday your own mashes ... so you will want to get at least one thermometer. I have a couple of simple probe thermometers, and I keep one on hand at all times when I'm doing anything relating to brewing.

The reason your OG was so low when you measured is probably due to mixing. It's very hard to mix extract and water all the way, and so it's very common for extract brew samples to give inaccurate OG readings. But that's not necessarily something to worry about. With extract brews, you should hit the recipe OG right on if you followed the instructions.

What was the recipe OG supposed to be? If higher than 1.041, then the fact that you're at 1.041 now means you probably do have some fermentation going, regardless of the lack of activity in your airlock.

But yes, if the recipe OG was 1.041 and you're still there, your yeast are probably dead in the water (so to speak :D). If you can wait a day or so and take another gravity reading, do so. And if the gravity hasn't moved by then, you will need to repitch.

OG was supposed to read 1.040. Thanks for all of the advice. I'm definitely going to look into buying a thermometer to keep on hand while doing everything. I think my local brew shop only has Fermometers, so I may have to buy one on the internet. Any suggestions?

If you've got a little coin, ANYTHING by this company... (i love my thermapen!)

splash-proof_thermapen-bignews.jpg

but any good thermometer will do - heck, walk through your local hardware store - they'll point you in the right direction...

I used to rehydrate dry yeast but lately I've just dumped the packet in when I don't do a starter. I can't really tell that rehydrating makes any difference, it's just an additional step and a hassle.

If it's not actively fermenting by now then for the beer's sake please dump in another packet of dry yeast. It can't hurt.

ooooooooooops. Yeah, Yeast don't like temperatures > 90-120. Hotter they are, the angrier they get. above 120 they usually don't survive.

Thermapen seems cool but I like a constant reading on my temps that's why I have a corded thermometer. Just can't see paying $80 for something you have to stand and hold or keep rechecking the temp

Back