Cold conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sub1427

Reaction score
My Belgain has been about two weeks in the 2ndary now, its looking really nice and tasting even better... Should I throw the carboy in the fridge for a few days while i wait for my kegs to come? Is there any harm in dropping the temp for a few days?

I move some ales to the basement floor during the second week of secondary to help more yeast drop out. But since you're doing a Belgian Wit, which is a couldy beer anyway, I'm not sure what the benefit would be.

If im going to force carbonate tomorrow or thursday, then I guess it wouldnt hurt to get the beer cold am I right? There is zero yeast activity now, no little bubbles that were once present so there shouldnt be any harm. correct me if im wrong

You are correct; no harm done. a local brewpub I go to cold conditions all their beer (mostly ales, porters etc) at 34 degrees before moving to the kegs. I'd do it as well if I had the room...

JimmyBeam said:
that wouldn't happen to be Nimbus would it?

Actually Thunder Canyon. I work near Nimbus but live near TCB. Thus the drinking occurs more often at TCB. I can walk home if need be ;). What part of town you at? Probably could take this to PM.

The brewery I worked at would cold condition the beer prior to filtering. Drop the yeast off it and transfer to conditioning tanks. The beer was normally in there for about a week or so to allow more yeast to settle out prior to filtration. They didn't want in there much longer only for space and commercial reasons but there were times when a beer was in cold conditioning tanks for several weeks to months. No harm done, I can only imagine goodness coming of it.

Hope that helps.

Back